register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Dog aggresive dogs on lead
Should be muzzled - end of 68 48.57%
Should have the choice to be unmuzzled 72 51.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Muzzling aggressive on lead dogs - yes or no?

What are peoples opinions on muzzling aggressive dogs that are on lead?

I have a dog aggressive staffie who is muzzled. I know people say that they want their dog to be able to defend themselves, so refuse to muzzle.

But to be honest, If another dog were to attack mine, it would be far easier and quicker for me to break up a fight than if mine was muzzle free.

Breaking up a dog fight with 2 unmuzzled dogs is asking for trouble. At least if a dog kicks off at mine, i can pull it off first.

Personally, I think if your dog is aggressive, it should wear a muzzle.

Yes, other people shouldnt allow their dogs to approach yours and people shouldnt let their dogs off the lead if their recall is questionable, but I think it is irresponsible not to do so.

There will always be dogs that run up to dogs on the lead, and I would rather not risk another dogs life or my own dogs life if they are complained about.

Thoughts?
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
my lil terrier isnt muzzled on a lead as i have control of here and i dont walk her on a lead where there are of lead dogs if i do and she is off lead then she is muzzled. shes never attacked a dog but can be aggresive and just wouldnt want to chance it
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Define aggressive.

My reactive collie can certainly look and sound aggressive on the confines of a lead if a dog approaches. He has bitten a dog when it approached him whilst on lead(collie kiss - no broken skin). I use a tug toy as distraction or as a reward for good behaviour when he looks at another dog and his reactivity has lessened since doing this. I could not do this if muzzled.

Off-lead, his behaviour is hostile and defensive if he meets a dog he does not know. He is only allowed to meet dog-savvy dogs that can deal with his behaviour and put him at ease and he is recalled if he looks like he may approach an unknown dog. He has never bitten a dog that has approached him whilst off-lead but attempted to when wearing a muzzle.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
on lead and under control? no,no muzzle.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:39 PM
All for having the choice here as I've said in several other threads I see the reasons FOR muzzling but I've had to many bad experiences to be happy muzzling my dog on leash. Off leash he's muzzled although his behaviour off leash with dogs is completely different. When he has encountered other dogs while off leash he's either avoided them completely or been cautiously friendly.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:06 AM
I have worked with dogs who are dog on dog aggression and no I dont agree with muzzling the dog. You are achieving nothing by muzzling. You need to work with them on a daily basis and if needed get professional help
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Absolutley not. As long as youve got control of it.

I walk a DA staff, Shes under control on the lead, i walk away from other dogs & if a dog "SHOULD" approach her on the lead, then i hold her collar & keep turning her away, so the other dog can only sniff her bum.

Id much prefer to do this & limit her reactiveness, then just let her react react react & not bother just because shes muzzled.

Should ANYONE be walking a dog that they cant control?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Ollie can react when on lead to certain dogs not all. He will not walk with a muzzle on he will refuse to budge same with a head collar so he wears a harness and is on a lead if not on the field where he can free run and chase a dog out of his space if he is not happy even then he wears a long line with his harness so is always under my control.

Dogs on paths near roads etc., should by law be on lead at all times with collar and id tags on. I was told this many years ago by the local dog warden where I lived then after I had to report a GSD that had attacked myself and my small son I didn't have a dog then. This was before the DDa was introduced.

But as all things in life you will get courteous and responsible people and those who are not. But I am not making my dogs walk uncomfortable or non existent if we have to path walk for other people who cannot be responsible.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I would say my reactive whilst on lead dog is worse when on a halti so would have thought a muzzle would make it worse.
He is not agressive but some peopple would see him as such
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I think the way I used to do it with my dog aggressive/reactive GSD was a pretty good compromise. She was always on-lead but unmuzzled - however, I always had a muzzle clipped to the belt holes on my jeans. This meant that a) people had a visual warning ("This dog's kept on a short lead and the owner has a muzzle on her, maybe I should avoid it") and b) in the event I did get cornered and a dog was approaching us, I could quickly get a muzzle on if I felt it was the most appropriate thing to do. I was constantly on the look-out, searching the horizon, looking for signs of movement behind bushes around corners etc., and being prepared to do a 180 and walk back the way we came if necessary. We only got 'cornered' twice in 4 years which wasn't bad going, and no one's dog ever got hurt.
I didn't feel it was fair on the dog to be muzzled all the time. She was already missing out on lots of normal doggy activities such as going off-lead, I didn't even have the option of finding a tennis court to let her dash around in as she unfortunately had bad hip dysplasia, so she lacked the physical and mental stimulation there. To limit her even more with a muzzle just seemed cruel - her walks were militant enough, with location (trying to limit pavement pounding), speed and length (towards the end she could barely manage a 10 minute walk) all predetermined. To let her rifle through leaf piles without a lump of plastic on her face was one bit of normality for her.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »