Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by esmed
On long journeys monty generally lies down and goes to sleep so I never feel the need to restrain him.
A word of warning, Monty could turn into a missile if you have to put your foot on the brake.

You would not allow a child to sit in the back seat without a seat belt on, the same should be considered for your dog.

Dogs and passengers who are not strapped in, have been known to go throw windscreens or into the person in the front seat, killing either one or both!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I feel like an awful dog owner now!!

He never sticks his head out very far and certainly not far enough to be injured by a car coming the opposite way.
You're not an awful dog owner. One other thing with regards to this is if your car rolled or flipped god forbid, he might get crushed....which wouldn't happen if he was in the boot or attached to a seatbelt harness...

I know dogs like it, but its safer for them in the long run to not, I keep the air con on or have our windows open so that they get a draft through the car, i'd rather them enjoy being able to see to chase a ball than five mins of air on their face in the car...
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:49 AM
No Ted is crated in the car with the window down as i don't have air con but i see plenty of people round here who do let there dogs hang their head out the windows.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:50 AM
No way! (Sorry dude).

Apart from debris and other things causing a danger he would surely get very bad whiplash if you suddenly braked.

I did a driver awareness course yesterday and asked the ex-cop where the safest place for a dog is. He said categorically in the boot in either a crate or with a well fitted dog guard. Even on the back seat with a seatbelt poses risks. Certainly not the front as 72% of vehicle accidents happen at the front. He said he lost count of the amount of times he saw the consequences of having an animal unrestrained in the car ;o(
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Max stays in the boot, between a dog guard and a tailgate guard. Unrestrained pets in the car, particularly with their heads and even shoulders hanging out of the window really worries me. You can see from the dogs face that they enjoy it but I would never risk gravel in the eye or Max getting hit by a passing car.

What really surprises me is that when you see some of these dogs, the adults and the children are all safely restrained in the car so why not the dog?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Absolutely NO WAY! It is so so dangerous and I get so angry when I see dogs sitting on the front sit on their owners lap with their head out the window...........Is that how they would travel with a child??

Totally and utterly irresponsible

Mind you my dogs have only ever traveled safely either in the back of the car or in their car harness.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Honey and Diesel only travel in the boot of a estate car with harnesses on attached to points in the boot, for their safety and ours, apart from things getting thrown up in the road Diesel particulary has a high prey drive, theres no gaurentee that he wouldn't jump out if he saw a rabbit at the side of the road, I don't think that there is any gaurentee for any dog really not to try and get out, my great uncle also lost a Greyhound like this too, which is why its so in my mind, for years the dog would drive with the window open and looking out, one day it saw something of intrest on the other side of the road, jumped out, and was hit straight away by a car coming in the other direction, the dog had no chance poor thing.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Thanks for all replies folks, has certainly made me feel bad and given me a bit to think about.

On long journeys monty generally lies down and goes to sleep so I never feel the need to restrain him. He is very good in the car but is not as good when forced to sit in one position i.e the boot but then maybe I'm too soft with him and should persevere in making him but I guess that would only stress him more and make him nervous of the car.

He's never been crated apart from at the vets so that would stress him out as well.
Hi Esme don't feel bad, we all have to learn..

I think seat belts are a great idea if you are not using a crate. I have an RAC belt for Chloe though she usually goes in her crate.

Years ago someone I know was going down the M1 to Crufts ( it was then held in London ). He had a number of dogs in his van which crashed, his wife was killed. The dogs were in boxes and safe, had they not been they would probably have been killed or left running loose on the motorway. If is always best to have a dog safely secured in a car for its safety and yours .

Letting a dog put its head out of the window can also result in sore weeping eyes.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Nope, I think it's dangerous.

My dogs are in the rear behind a dog guard so never have the opportunity anyway. Plus I have inbuilt retractable sun blinds which are always used which would stop the dogs.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Ours are behind a dog guard, or if we are on the way to a show there crated (because we need that crated to take in with us it makes sense to put it up and have them in it, instead of having extra room taken up in the back of the car. Anyway there always contained to the back of the car, having little cresteds that think the car is a play ground it could be dangerous if they were left loose lol.

Dont feel bad until I just read this thread I would never have thought of the dangers. We all learn
Page 4 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »