Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh poor Bailey.......and poor you - you must rush around at top speed when you go out, in order to get back as quickly as possible.
I used to rush around the shops but now I don't, as long as I make sure I have seen him drink before I go out I just take it in my stride now. OH and I were supposed to be going on a weekend away to York paid for by our kids a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't go, I couldn't leave him
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
I used to rush around the shops but now I don't, as long as I make sure I have seen him drink before I go out I just take it in my stride now. OH and I were supposed to be going on a weekend away to York paid for by our kids a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't go, I couldn't leave him
I know exactly what you mean, we have always been the same with our dogs.........their wellbeing comes first doesn't it. Some people think we are bonkers.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I know exactly what you mean, we have always been the same with our dogs.........their wellbeing comes first doesn't it. Some people think we are bonkers.
we probably are but what the heck eh! we love em
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 02:35 PM
If you want to leave the metal tray in the bottom put a fleece blanket inbetween the tray and mesh bottom it won't rattle about then
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I took the metal try out of mine as Lana didn't like the noise it made and wouldn't go in the crate. To then get her to try it out again I went and sat in it and she came in beside me. Although it's wire mesh on the bottom, the quilt is thick enough so it's not noticeable.

Good idea about the fleece blanket though, I hadn't thought of that one.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh noooooooooo, she's now crate training YOU!!!!!! I have been known to do that myself initially though, but thank goodness mine is a big 48" one!!! I hope Bitkin doesn't see this otherwise, she'll be trying out this latest trick of yours!!! Let's hope your dogs aren't smart enough to lock the doors on you when you're in there

That's exactly what I did with my plastic tray, I stuffed the blanked underneath the metal after I'd pulled my tray out a bit.

I don't want to see a post up here in the morning telling us what a comfortable night you had in that crate either!!!!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Hey come on..........our dog is tiny, and although his crate is quite big for HIM, I would have to be a contortionist to fit in it. Then there would be no room for him, and yes Helena he would definitely shut the door on me.!

I wonder which of us will be the first to achieve happy dog left in crate for over an hour? The way that Jimmi has studiously ignored his since that first day of making out that it was the best thing ever ever to have happened to him, apart from going in to rescue the treats that I bung in there, makes me think that it won't be me
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh don't give up hope yet, our dogs are always full of surprises, even little Jimmi Have you fed him in there yet, with you lying on the floor, maybe reading a book, he'll go in there don't you worry, stay nice and relaxed, lie on the floor near the door and put his dinner in there, you'll see!

Do you remember those horses that we couldn't catch??? Remember how we used to sit up in the field reading a book??? It's all a game of one step ahead, think like the horse, think like the dog and you'll get there, just takes time, but so much of it in those early stages I'm afraid.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Helena, and no I certainly have not given up hope and am determined that tomorrow he will be in there for at least a minute with the door shut I will certainly be on the floor next to him for the first few times, or until he seems settled enough for me to go and sit at the table. I have a plan worked out, and just hope that he doesn't have a plan too!!

Oh yes, the memories of trying to catch those horses when the spring grass was coming through and they knew that they were headed for the bare paddock......the endless patience needed and the sheer frustration of nearly getting a rope around a neck only to have them high tail it to the far end of the field. I haven't lost my patient streak.........yet!!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Lana's crate is a 42" one as she can lie stretched out in it. I am only 5' so it was quite roomy

Lana was in hers for a while today but probably because I was nasty and shut the bedroom door so she couldn't go and lie on her bed but she seems fine with it now that it's not making all the noises.

Aw Bitkin you haven't lived if you haven't been in your dogs crate Hope your plan for tomorrow works.
Page 4 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »