Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:07 AM

Mole Poisoning and our dogs

Hi All, just met a friend of mine on our village green who's dog has been very ill along with others she knows about. Turns out she met a man putting mole poison down on our green last week and had a go at him, but he said it was being put so deep it wouldn't affect our dogs. Shouldn't they put a sign up when doing things like this - surely??
I think I know why my Cassie was on a drip heammhoraging blood for 2 days last week now, along with a few other dogs from my village. This is the second time she has been poisoned in her 9 years! Can I do anything about this, as I think it must be illegal on a village green?
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Contact your local Environmental Health Office, I think its highly illegal so get them to look into it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks will do that now!
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Let us know how you get on
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:21 AM
thats very wrong for that man to be doing that
Let us know what happens

How is cassie? hope she is ok ?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Did your vet take blood samples Helena? If so, does he, or the laboratory, still have them? Find out (from the council?) exactly what poison has been used and request that the bloods are tested for that specific toxin. If it turns out that traces of the mole poison are present then throw the book at whoever is responsible.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Did your vet take any samples which might prove that Cassie was poisoned by this stuff? It would help your case.

I hope the Env Health Dept help - if not don't give up, there must be other agencies. ?RSPCA, DogsTrust? Keep trying, obviously he shouldn't put dogs at risk - and what about if kiddies had been playing there & not washed their hands?

I presume he didn't do it at the behest of the ?Parish/Town Council - ask them. Contact your Councillor. Stop him!
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Just copied this for you from the Defra Website concerning mole control

Resolving problems involving moles
The mole is a common British mammal and, although not often seen, the results of its tunnelling are well known and may cause damage in a range of situations. In gardens and amenity areas, molehills and tunnels can be a significant nuisance. In agriculture, contamination of grass by soil may lead to poor quality silage being produced. There is also a risk of damaging grass-cutting machinery. Mole runs may disturb roots and adversely affect plant growth.

Before embarking on mole control, it is important to consider if this action is warranted or if the molehills and tunnels can be tolerated. Where control measures can be justified, there are two main methods, trapping and poisoning with strychnine hydrochloride or aluminium phosphide.

The use of strychnine is strictly controlled and use of this poison is not permitted in gardens. In these situations, trapping is normally the most appropriate technique. On agricultural land and in other extensive grassland areas, such as airstrips, horse gallops and golf courses, the use of strychnine is often the most cost-effective method of control.

Before strychnine hyrdochloride can be purchased or used it is necessary to obtain approval to do so from Defra.

Advisory leaflet WM03 describes the various methods of controlling moles. If you require additional guidance contact the Wildlife Administration Unit who will either assist you directly or put you in touch with a Defra wildlife management adviser. Advisers can offer more specific guidance to you over the telephone.

Hope this helps as you need permission to use the poisoning from Defra
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys, I knew you would come up with something!
Anyway, phoned my local Env.Health Dept. they were very interested indeed, but told me I had to contact my local Parish Council who would have requested this to be done. So I did. Only got the Clerk, but explained it all to her and about all our dogs and mine too, and that my friend had actually seen the man putting it down and he told her it was poison but was too far down to effect our dogs! Anyway, because she herself has dogs and lives in the village, she is going to get hold of this man who we have had for many years doing this, but she said he used traps! Ha!

That is also very interesting WhizGirl on the Defra site about the use of strychnine on gallops, as of course we have Josh Gifford's racing gallops next to our village green, and I have been told before by another woman not to walk my dogs across there as the mole man had been and he uses poison!

I have just rung my vets back and asked the receiptionist to have a word with my vet as to whether they still have Cassie's blood from last week, even if it means contacting the laboratory where they are doing her EPI test, they may just have it still, in which case I want it tested for strychnine and I will throw the bloody book at them! I am so angry now about this and I will persue it. The local Council told me to get back to them once I had spoken to the Parish Council if I had no joy. Well, I don't think I have had any joy as she said she is going to talk to the man and they will have a meeting? He will obviously lie through his teeth won't he. I must go up and find out the name and address of this girl I know, as I only know her by sight and where she lives, and she is the one who saw the man and spoke to him. I am definitely on this case now! I will keep you updated.

We have young children too who use this green, let alone our poor dogs, this is absolutely atroscious in my eyes

Thank you all so much for this valuable information you have armed me with!
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Go girl!

I can almost hear you clanking the bit between your teeth.....you're not going to leave this are you? Good for you.

Don't forget the local councillor route - that's what they're there for (and they want your vote next time!). Show them your vet bill and tell them just how ill Cassie and the other dogs have been. Get him/her to speak to your vet to reassure themselves that they've spoken to an 'expert' as well as an emotional pet owner.

Good luck - keep us up to speed with your campaign.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >