Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
EXACTLY!! She has minor brain damage, was ridiculed and teased all her life, has learning difficulties and is expected to be a superstar overnight and act like she always has been.
Totally agree, I feel so bad for her, she doesn't deserve all this stick she gets.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Pidge wrote:
You directly questioned her honesty there. Why? dont you think its possible that a woman who has been ridiculed and teased all her life might find the media hysteria a bit too much to cope with? Really? YES REALLY!!!
You have a real way with words. I mean, the media are saying she is having a nervous breakdown. Not her.

I do think I didn't make myself very clear though but hopefully you now understand, I'm not against her, I'm against the hype that is her.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I like her, Like her voice & SOOOOO want her to do well!
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I did like her but like Diversity more!! Tbh I wouldnt go and buy her album she isnt my sort of singer, but I wish all the luck in the world to her and think it's great she's overcome what she has in life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
You have a real way with words. I mean, the media are saying she is having a nervous breakdown. Not her.

I do think I didn't make myself very clear though but hopefully you now understand, I'm not against her, I'm against the hype that is her.
Pidge, apart from my afformentioned line you wrote, your second paragraph read:

But, gradually I have gone off her so much so that I actually am finding it all abit annoying. She's only ever sung 2 songs, one which was brilliant, the other was very poor. She has an emotional breakdown (why, reallly?) and now I see she is heading up a show, singing the same songs again
NONE of that paragraph was about the media, it was your opinion. You questioned the breakdown nobody else. I may have a way with words, but so do you, its a shame they are at the expense of a woman that deserves our support given her history and circumstances rather than being targeted on a public forum by somebody who is more fortunate than her. Sorry Pidge you struck a nerve with this one.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not talking about her brain damage! I'm not talking about her mental state. I'm not reallly talking about her.

I'm talking about the fact that she is being branded a star and has only ever done two songs, one of which is not that great.

I think there is far better talent out there.

As for being thrust into the limelight, she did go to the auditions herself, no one made her.
Yes she did, but though she no doubt hoped and dreamed of winning, she probably never really expected to and even if she did, could she really have anticipated the hype and just how tiring and stressful the situation would be?

I think she has a lovely voice, I'm glad that she surprised the judges and I hope she finds happiness, whether she continues as a public figure or not.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I agree with BD and Hali....and the others who are wishing her well.

I admit she doesn't sing the songs I listen too, but then no-one would listen to our music here (well I think not) but it's a fine line we walk between sanity and un-sanity (what for a better word) but you get my meaning.

And ANYONE can have a nervous breakdown, it happened to a friend of ours, one of the biggest, solid doormen you have ever meet........snap and he was in Highcroft for 16 weeks. So I for one wouldn't comdemn anyone who has had that happen, it's fact
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Blimey people can be very harsh in judging other people, beware know one knows how they will cope when their back is agaiinst the wall. the woman can sing, I'm sure she can do more songs and she has maybe not got the skills to deal with all thats happened to her, but don't knock her down before shes had a chance.as Stevie says it can happen to any one it doesn't mean she hasn't got talent.If shes not your cup of tea move on you don't have to be so negative about her.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Pidge, apart from my afformentioned line you wrote, your second paragraph read:

NONE of that paragraph was about the media, it was your opinion. You questioned the breakdown nobody else. I may have a way with words, but so do you, its a shame they are at the expense of a woman that deserves our support given her history and circumstances rather than being targeted on a public forum by somebody who is more fortunate than her. Sorry Pidge you struck a nerve with this one.
Clearly. Look Dawn I mean no harm to the lady and also wish her well but I need to know she has more to her than one great song and one OK song.

I'm not a West End star but I have grown up dreaming the same my whole life, acting and singing in many similar roles and knowing every major song from every major musical. When I heard her sing ''I dreamed a dream'' from my favourite ever musical ''Les Miserables'' I thought she was as good, if not better than Ruthie Henshall herself (original West End cast role of Fantine).

I couldn't wait for her second act and like some ended up disappointed. ''Memory'' is a VERY hard to sing song so it was a great effort but did not blow me away. Whether that was because of the hype, or her nerves I'm not sure.

Then all I hear in the press is ''SuBo did this silly thing'' and ''SuBo did that silly thing'' and she's in The Priory for having a breakdown. I felt sorry for her and was not surprised as she was very awkward in the final of BGT. Now, within two weeks she's heading up a paid concert, but singing the same songs again.

I mean her no harm at all, I really don't but I need to hear more from her before she gets my vote as a ''star''. I do not blame her though, I blame the telly!!

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Yes she did, but though she no doubt hoped and dreamed of winning, she probably never really expected to and even if she did, could she really have anticipated the hype and just how tiring and stressful the situation would be?

I think she has a lovely voice, I'm glad that she surprised the judges and I hope she finds happiness, whether she continues as a public figure or not.
Hali, whomever is to blame, someone allowed her to get to that state, be it her with her excitement or the show themselves. Either way it's abit messy and two weeks is too soon to be ''heading'' up a concert.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Clearly. Look Dawn I mean no harm to the lady and also wish her well but I need to know she has more to her than one great song and one OK song.

I'm not a West End star but I have grown up dreaming the same my whole life, acting and singing in many similar roles and knowing every major song from every major musical. When I heard her sing ''I dreamed a dream'' from my favourite ever musical ''Les Miserables'' I thought she was as good, if not better than Ruthie Henshall herself (original West End cast role of Fantine).

I couldn't wait for her second act and like some ended up disappointed. ''Memory'' is a VERY hard to sing song so it was a great effort but did not blow me away. Whether that was because of the hype, or her nerves I'm not sure.

Then all I hear in the press is ''SuBo did this silly thing'' and ''SuBo did that silly thing'' and she's in The Priory for having a breakdown. I felt sorry for her and was not surprised as she was very awkward in the final of BGT. Now, within two weeks she's heading up a paid concert, but singing the same songs again.

I mean her no harm at all, I really don't but I need to hear more from her before she gets my vote as a ''star''. I do not blame her though, I blame the telly!!

Hali, whomever is to blame, someone allowed her to get to that state, be it her with her excitement or the show themselves. Either way it's abit messy and two weeks is too soon to be ''heading'' up a concert.
I think 'allowed her to get to that state' is too black and white. Early signs of mental illness are not always obvious, particularly where there has been no previous such illness and particulalry where the people surrounding her would not have known her very well. Many of the signs have been taken purely as her acting 'like a diva' or just not being a very nice person.

But I do agree that on the face of it, it does seem too early for her to be back on stage - I must admit to being very surprised when I heard that. But I guess none of us knows the full story.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >