Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Jor the dog doesnt react to anything but the collars?? Just asking out of interest.
That's why I used one. I don't think it's the first port of call for most people.

And I don't think people should be made to feel as if they are failures/bad people by having to 'resort' to a spray collar
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I was threatened by the council they would remove the noise nuisance if the barking didn't stop, Kain used to bark for 10 mins when I left him in the kennel, the council knew it was only 10 mins cause they had monitored it, I used the spray collar on him, tells you on the box not to rely totally on the collar alone that you may have to back training up with other methods, and also to watch them when wearing the collar...
The first day he wore it I sneaked upstairs and watched from the bedroom window, first bark scoosh sneeze, then bark bark bark till the canister was empty, I went out, took the collar off, refilled it and tried again, bark bark bark, I went out said nothing chucked water at him, was quiet for 3 mins, then barked, went out same as before chucked water, quiet for 10 mins no barking went out took the collar off, then went for a long walk in the woods, came back, put him out in the kennel and he neva barked again...so these things aren't quick fix methods, you still have to use other ways to reinforce, he wasn't stressed, and he learned not to bark ...I also tried the out door anti bark thingy but he broke it lol, so I had tried things before resorting to the collar.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Dice doesnt suffer from anxiety or have any other physcological problems other than he feels the need to bark at every thing from leaves moving to shadows through the fence. My dogs are all house dogs I dont have kennels and the doors are always open so they can get back in, he just likes the sound of hos own voice I'm afraid.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
That's why I used one. I don't think it's the first port of call for most people.

And I don't think people should be made to feel as if they are failures/bad people by having to 'resort' to a spray collar
I'm not saying anyone should feel like a failure/bad for using the collars, I just think it's bad advice to say use a collar without trying other methods, from a trainer?! Maybe I am wrong but just my opinion.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 04:00 PM
my dog i had as a child, sam, always barked when the doorbell went or when he saw or heard someone pass the house. we tried to train him but nothing worked so ended up just leaving him to it lol. it didnt really bother us, we were more worried about the neighbours but we were really friendly with them all so we asked them about it and they all said they couldnt hear it lol.

lauren
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
I'm not saying anyone should feel like a failure/bad for using the collars, I just think it's bad advice to say use a collar without trying other methods, from a trainer?! Maybe I am wrong but just my opinion.
No, you're absolutely right....any trainer worth their salt would not recommend it as a first.

Wys
x
topbarks
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Again, if it doesn't work where do you go next?
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by topbarks View Post
Again, if it doesn't work where do you go next?

If the training doesnt work or the collar?
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I had a dog, Buzz, whom I took in when he was 12 months old... After 2 weeks, I got a complaint from the neighbours (nicely) that he barked none-stop, when outside... He got a bark collar, and learned to count... He turned out to be aggressive to people and was eventually put down... I still miss him, and I only had him for a few short months..
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I think when you have tried other things for the barking and it isn't working 100 % when the council starts to threaten to remove the noise nuisance I know I paniked a bit thats when as a last resort the collar was used ( I told the council they could try and come and get him but that would happen over my dead body lol ) soon as you hang the phone up though your minds like a cog wheel buzzing wondering and of course worrying for your dog, I could neva give up on him...If the collar and reinforced methods hadn't worked , to be honest I don't know what I wouldv'e done, I didn't know Shona at the time, if I had I'd have phoned for her help ! x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >