Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by afc101
Hi Thordel

As I’ve said in the post above I’m not an expert but I am interested. If you have the time could you explain further what you mean by; “until it has a breed type & breeding true to type” Do you mean that every time it bred the dog conforms to the same standard?

Thanks
Sorry missed your post and yes that is what is meant, before a breed can be recognised it has to have amongst other things a standard written, that is a detailed description of what the dog looks like, until a group of dogs are breeding true to type it is not possible for a group of enthusiast to write a standard because everyone would want it to describe there own dogs and a consensus would not be possible.

Dogs can be registered with the KC under what I think is called the working register and they do not have to be a registered breed and many are crossbreeds used for agility and obedience or are working dogs like borders or beadies.
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Hi Erase

My dog is an Olde Tyme Bulldog I do like the Victorian Bulldogs though

Now i am far from an expert on American Bulldogs but as regards to types they no longer fall into the catergory of Johnson/Hines/Scott.......or whatever Thats just the linage

As far as i am concerned there are only two types of American Bulldogs and thats "Standard" and "Classic" was told this by Thresa from "BlueBloods" who are very reputed breeders of the AB
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

16-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by WhizGirl
Hi Erase

My dog is an Olde Tyme Bulldog I do like the Victorian Bulldogs though
Sorry yeah thas what i meant!
Traciejane
New Member!

16-02-2005, 06:32 PM
just wanted to say thanks for all these replys,probably better than a book.My daughter has chosen to do a written piece for school entitled 'how man has changed nature'and she wants to do the bulldog so all these opinions are great.
I am new to the board and really impressed with the time people have taken to reply

Thanks
tracie
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 08:23 PM
In that case I would suggest you use the KC erg bulldog rather that the new types since it has been in existance much longer ....have a look on [admin edit: url snip: try amazon.co.uk tho] they have a good section on books for sale

just had a look...they have plenty of books on the bulldog many tracing the history of the breed
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 10:03 PM
I wonder...does anyone know how long AB's have been 'in existance' please?
As far as I'm aware the AB has been around since the 17th century. My personal favourite is the dogs with the longer noses, from what I can see some of the others just look like English bulldogs but with longer legs?

People trying to pass of American Pit bulls as American Bulldogs
Funny this was mentioned but I remember about 5/6 years ago reading in a certain dog magazine that the American Bulldog was to be the new Pitbull, being imported from America, and was to be avoided because it was viscious! Needless to say I stopped reading the mag! Don't make assumptions til you know all the facts, really irratated me, as you've probably guessed!
mr maelstrom
Dogsey Junior

20-02-2005, 02:59 AM
blimey, poor woman only wanted a book!!!
i own 5 of the bull breeds, some of which you've mentioned here. what i WOULD wholeheartedly recommend ANYONE wanting to or considering becoming an owner of these glorious creatures is do some research... we're on the net for crying out loud!!! check it out!!! a wealth of information, based uopn genuine experience, opinions and most importantly history is available!!! and along the way you'll make some excellent new friends, and ultimately become an admirer rather than a desirer, lol!!!
ABs have a very long history, and it's quite ironic that SOME of their roots stems from the olde tyme bulldogges brought to the states by the irish and english and indeed the welsh settlers... there are some very nice and knowledgable people to talk to, over the net, it costs you nada other thatn your bill - people like Lemuel Miller, J D Johnson, Greg Souza, etc... there's also a great site to go on www.americanbulldogresources.com - have a butchers, you may learn something (Thordell). Also if you take a look back in history with reference to the olde tymes, you;ll see just excatly what the original bulldog looked like before the kc slaughtered the breed. Fighting eh??? lol!!! do you read the 'sun' (uk joke)!!!
Check out your history, yes bear baiting, bull bating, even human bating and gladiatoral dogs going into combat with royal foot soldiers!! not much in the way of bulldog on bulldog really, it's when you start looking at some of the other bull breeds being crossed, then you really discover the fighting side... i LOVE all my dogs, and ususally everyone elses too, one of the reasons IS the lengthy and undeniable history of courage and tenacity, combined with an unsurpassed loyalty and warmth to their family!!! PLEASE don't be an a**ehole, too many breeds have been banned due to scare mongering, over infalted headlines and wanna be do gooders ONLY really interested in making names for themselves.
yes there are di*kheads out there that will always try and fudge it up for us genuine dog lovers - there always will be, let's not help them eh... let's love our dogs, all of them, whetever the breed, and push forward together, because it could be your dog they try and exterminate next!!!
phew!!! right i'll get me coat!!!
Kendo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Traciejane
Trying to find a decent book (if there is one!)
Thanks
Hi if you havent got the real bulldog book pm me & i will send you my copy as i dont need it read it when it 1st came out & good luck with your research
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3