View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Traciejane
New Member!

13-02-2005, 02:48 PM

Victorian bullogs - Books wanted

Trying to find a decent book (if there is one!)
Thanks
stafford
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2005, 10:37 PM
have you tried your local library?
if they havent got wot you want just ask and they can order it for you to buy or loan.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Are you looking for a book on the people who say they have recreated the bulldog as it was during Victoria’s reign and call it by all sorts of different names including old tyme bulldog and Victorian bulldog or are you looking for a book that will tell you what bulldogs were like during the 19th century and give you names, details & history.

If the latter then any good book on the Bulldog should give some detail of the history of the breed and there may be a suggestion of a book that deals with the history in depth. If it is the first I do not know of such a book but the people who are producing the various attempts to cross breed and produce something they think turns the clock back, are on the internet including photos, of the ‘new breed’ not the original of course.

Before the Victorian period the dog was used first for bull bating and then for dog fighting and was known interestingly but not surprisingly as bandogs, a name given to fighting dogs. However after the 1835 they were removed from the fighting pits and slowly started to become the dog we know today, far more suited to be a pet dog. There has been a time in the recent past when some breeders went too far with the modification from fighting dog to pet dog and some health problems were beginning to emerge along with the change in temperament and reduction in size. However the Bulldog breeders should be congratulated because many of the dogs now seen at shows are as fit as any other dog of similar shape. They can and do retain the very protective nature and are also surprisingly fast should the need arise but are devoted to their owners and remain for most of their lives very playful and good with children. Now this is only my opinion but I find it hard to understand why some people have decided it is a good idea to return the breed to it’s original state, making it, one assumes, more fit for the fighting pits than the fire side, but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise but perhaps not on this forum.
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Theres a book called "The Story Of The Real Bulldog" written by Robert Jenkins & Ken Mollet

Ken Mollet founded the Victorian Bulldog, the book can be found on Amazon

Now this is only my opinion but I find it hard to understand why some people have decided it is a good idea to return the breed to it’s original state, making it, one assumes, more fit for the fighting pits than the fire side
What a load of hogwash

but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise but perhaps not on this forum.
Somehow i dont think so
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Is there any need to be so rude?

If you know of a good reason to produce the various dogs known by different Bulldog type names then tell me, why would I not be interested - I am always concerned with the welfare of the dogs concerned and the reputation of anything that these crossbreeds look like, it does not take much to give a good dog a bad name just ask the Staffy people.
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Yes Thordell there is, as you are by far one of the rudest people i have ever had the displeasure of comming into contact with on a dog forum.

one assumes, more fit for the fighting pits than the fire side
That comment is an insult to me, how can you expect me not to stick up for my own breed?

You were by far one of the rudest people on champdogs, dont profess to know everything about breeds you know nothing about, and please dont patronise me by saying you are willing to learn about dogs such as the Olde Tyme or Victorian Bulldog, as i know its far from the truth

All you are intrested in is belittling people who own non kc breeds.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 11:02 AM
quote "That comment is an insult to me, how can you expect me not to stick up for my own breed?"

Well I am sorry your upset with my comments but that is what the Bulldog was, a fighting dog, if I am told that is what the breeders are aiming for how can you be upset that is what I would expect the aim to be. Would agree you would stick up for dogs you own and love but I can only go by what I have been told and what the sites I have read say, so far all I have read talk about reproducing the Bulldog as it was prior to it being changed during the 19th century.

Have asked you to explain, but you have declined and that is ok but if I have the wrong idea, put me right.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 11:13 AM
You could always try ebay!!
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2005, 11:20 AM
The aim of the Olde Tyme and Victorian was to re- create a fitter healthier Bulldog thats it nothing more nothing less. They certainly were most not bred for fighting that certainly was not the intention when re-creating them was in mind.

I have owned Kc Bulldogs that have keeled over just through walking around my back yard, not even doing hard activities, the last one i owned passed away at 10 months old. And the KC Bulldog i owned before that savaged my daughters face to such an extent that she needed emergency surgery on one of her ears. Please do not try and tell me that as owners we were doing something wrong, we simply were not, we loved our dogs more than life itself. But when you pay over £1000 for a dog to savage your daughter, then you pay another £1500 for a dog to keel over at 10 months old in the yard you do get really disheartened.

All we ever wanted was a dog to fit in with our family life style, a dog that was capable of walking up the road and back, and in owning Olde Tyme Bulldogs i belive we have found that, and to be totaly honest our Olde Tymes can be trusted 100% around our daughter, i can say hand on heart i will never ever trust another KC Bulldog as far as i could throw one ever again.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 12:43 PM
If one accepts that it is being done purely for the dogs health why did they not do it using quality well bred healthy bulldogs for their breeding stock as other Bulldog enthusiasts have, there are lots of fit healthy dogs about now, will accept that there are some poorly bred ones about, that is the trouble with breeding, there are those who do it with care and consideration for the health of the breed and those who do it because they can. Do understand that that may have been the idea but the way many of these ‘new bulldogs’ are sold and put across is misleading, they do talk about health but they also push the fact that they are breeding dogs as the old ones used to be and as I said, before the dog was changed to the Bulldog we know now, it was a fighting dog.

Would like to let you know where I stand as you seem to have some misconceptions, I do not care one jot if a dog or breed is registered with the Kennel Club, there a hundreds who are not and I am happy to accept that they are a recognisable breed.

Next I have nothing against cross breeds nor mongrels most are a delight; I do have problems with the deliberate breeding of crossbreeds and mongrels for no good reason except the bank balance of the breeder. When it is for a specific purpose as evident in some of the terriers and lurchers then I am content but just to catch the public eye with a catchy name when they are not producing a dog either to type nor for a purpose that makes me unhappy for the future of the dogs involved. I am sure there are many nice dogs out there but they are not yet a breed, they show no type and do not reproduce to type.

Finally I am genuinely very sorry if I upset you it was not my intention and I can understand your response to me, the written word is easy to misunderstand and I was only going by the things the breeders and supporters have written and the photographs I have been shown. Have met at least 3 of these dogs, not all called Victorian so my impression is not totally formed by what I have read and seen on the internet
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >