Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Daily Thread Monday 15th July

Good morning everyone

Lynn good luck at the meeting and hope your council listens to you - ours did not. They have built/building nearly 400 houses and promised owners of houses in roads backing onto the site would not be overlooked -not so. The original houses were built so that they had an outlook over the fields but now some face a brick wall of a three storey care home and others have the fence of the new houses virtually on top of their gardens. The infrastructure was not improved, no new school or doctor's surgery have been built, the main road is already at a stand still certain times of the day, or nearly all day one way, but we the residents were told that there would be no problem as the volume of cars would not significantly increase - 400 houses would equal more than 400 more cars trying to access it

The council is also considering building another l60 something houses again coming out on to the same main road but so far a committee that has been formed have managed to get certain agencies on board to throw obstacles in the way. Now we have had the local elections and the council is now independent we are all hoping that the application will be thrown out.

With regards to affordable housing there are a few flats being built but they start at nearly £300,00 so not really affordable. There is not a lot of work locally so commuting will have to be involved. Yes there is a bus into the nearest towns but any further you would need a car to get to the nearest station or work It would appear that we are the local dumping ground for housing when there is plenty of ground a bit further away that would be just as suitable.

Sorry for the rant.

Yes Griff give the police a call about harassment

Hope you are feeling a little better today Harvey

Have a good day and stay safe.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Good morning Sue and all to follow. Have a good day, stay warm and dry and above all safe and well.

Harvey, trust you are feeling better this morning and everyone else is all ok. take care, God bless.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2019, 09:37 AM
Morning Sue, Moyra and all to follow.

Sue rant away over 20 years ago we had a similar problem big housing estate being built on the old hospital grounds two good council houses although unoccupied knocked down to make access road next to our then house.
Us in our road and another estate further up the main road who were also affected got together and formed a committee even the fact the drains were victorian and no new drains being laid stopped the development. We did manage to get few less houses on there that was all.
We had a dreadful time with contractors and when the first phase was built sold up and moved on.

I am under no illusions this will go ahead but I will give a damn good fight and make my feelings and valid points known and hope other will do the same. At least we will still have the park and hopefully forever these days who knows though.
When looking for houses last year we looked at a few with field views directly out the back and both said in a year there could be plans for building it is everywhere and not for the locals.

Chris thanks for the tip I will amend my question written down regards that.
When I think our poor neighbour who just wanted to convert his old barn and build two new houses on his land the council stopped him at every turn especially regards the splay/view from the access road that would of turned onto a road already used by huge great lorries.
Yet they allowed a new estate to be built further up the next road.

As Gorden says that's capitalism for you. It makes the rich richer.

We really do not want to move again and I guess these days wherever you go now you will more than likely find the same thing happening again.

Bit overcast here today but muggy. Gorden popping to get Dillon 10 extra tablets to cover us for our holiday we booked later today it overlapped with the next vet visit so new appointment made and enough tablets to cover till we get back.
Getting seven nights for the price and the dates was very lucky and we all need a holiday this year so to good to turn down.
Not sure if the tablets are helping or not, yesterday big stumble today another stumble still nail scraping although not so much but seem harder and longer. Wants the walks today was longer through our park up the road and onto the Estover road park he does do some running then is very tired on the walk back.
The stumbling seems to be direction Gorden maneuvered him slightly today to get round another woman and her dog and he stumbled. So not sure if it's pain, muscle loss or the onset of DM. Knowing our luck he will be one of the small percentage who is in the low risk bracket to get it.

Harvey hope you are bit better today.
Hope everyone and all four legged friends are well.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2019, 10:14 AM
At least we are in a cal de sac on the end house in a lovely area and not overlooked or having car headlights in the windows at night. So quiet at times it makes the ears hurt.
The main road Sue is talking about is the main south coast road that not only handles local traffic but also traffic from the continent, summer time being worse. We really should have our own town council to stand up for us, but the district council don't want it as they will loose revenue.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2019, 10:33 AM
I think it's awful how houses get built without thought for existing tenants...I know here, they built a new estate and told the people buying they were going to have their own drs surgery and a new school, people bought them thinking it would be convenient not having to get the children in a car/bus/walk to school, 10 years on.....no drs or school and people are left having to travel further than before to take the children to school. I know just up the road from Steve they are building 300 houses I think, the road is already congested and I know not all houses have a car but those who do may well have 2 and I am not sure they plan on improving the road network
Thanks Chris and sue, I asked my parents to email the solicitor and put it on record but mum said no as it costs £23 everytime she emails back...I offered to pay for the emails, Steve said they need to log it as it is an ongoing campaign of harrassment but they won't listen to us...I am fuming
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Morning Barry the site at the back of ours belongs to the council so it will go through as they need the money these days desperately and unfortunately for us and the neighbours.
One of the other two sites looks like a piece of school playing field being sold off. That happened many years ago in Brentwood long before schools became strapped for cash.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Griff that is dreadful on all counts the way they are behaving. Can only suggest what others have said report it as a hate crime/harassment to the police.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-07-2019, 11:39 AM
'mornig all

Just have to add my agrement to everything said above about 'new housing'

Our village was forced to build about a dozen such houses, not a lot I agree but the parrish council was told these would be for local young people who either lived in the village or within roughly 5 miles. So what happened? one of the so called affordable homes is occupied by a young family from the village and one is occupied by another family who live close by. All the others have gone to people from the big towns around and of course add to traffic on our road and I don't think they are in need of homes here because they can still commute to the town where they likely have a good job.

As some have said the whole planning and housing scene is full of 'hidden agendas' and despite it all seeming to go through council procedures there's so many ways developers can get what they want. For example on many large schemes the developer has to agree to provide certain community facilities e.g. Drs. surgery etc. but what the general public are never told is that those 'free' facilities are only provided at the end of the contract when the last house is built. All the developer has to do is say they are going to build 200 homes but when they get to 199 they find some reason they can't build the last home so they are then NOT committed to the commuty facilities.

Lynn, if you go to any meetings make sure that any free facilities that the council and the developers say they will provide (Better roads, Drs. surgery etc) are provided at the start of the scheme because at the end (When most of the houses are built) you'll find impossible to nail down the developer, they'll be long gone and all the locals will be left with the mess

Apologies for a bit of a rant

Feeling a tad better today, but I think it will take the rest of the week to get back to 'normal' (Whatever that is )
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Afternoon all had a really nice day today BHF have been and collected a really good quality prebuilt double wardrobe and matching bedside 3 drawer cabinet. Excellent service by them very pleased.

Been shopping and brought Gert a new toy which as I speak is being demolished joys of Stafford owning but she is happy and occupied.
Also brought a couple of for two of the windows.

Washing on the line the bedding in machine and pork chop in stuffing already in the oven having an late lunch early dinner as in work at 5am in the morning. Just off to pop the cauliflower into the cheese sauce and then Yummy meal done, along with roast potatoes.

The building work seems to be prevalent everywhere. My Aunt lives in Halesowen and they have lived their for over 60 years over looking green space which they have been told is being built on in the next year or two. It has been threatened a few times over the years but not come to anything. When we spoke on the phone she said "let them do what they like I am 92 and if I die before/when they build will come back and haunt them" Memo to building dept. don't cross Auntie Kathleen.

Griff even if you do not log it with the solicitor log it with the police harassment. Then you have a record to take to court when/if needed.

Losos Glad you feel a bit better. Like you not sure about "normal" I like "abnormal" myself. LOL very pleased you are feeling alright hope your wife is alright too.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Good afternoon all.

Overcast morning. Ideal for walking about. The sun has now come out and it is hot, hot, hot outside.

Lynn, look for a site called 'Nextdoor' for your area. It's a good way to drum up support for objections to the housing scheme. We are a small village of roughly 3,000 people and there are 316 members on our local Nextdoor site. It really raised the number of objections going into the planning department about 380 houses proposed for the next village and also to any new applications for caravan sites.

Kelly, report every incident to the police and get a crime number off them. Then contact these people:

https://www.stophateuk.org/what-is-hate-crime/

They really do help and keep the police on their toes to get something done about it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >