View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daveabster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Coat or no coat - that is the question (also reluctance to walk)

Olly is only three months old and recently got introduced to walking as he has had all his required jabs.

Couple of questions from a very new dog owner. He doesn't seem to want to walk away from the house. The further away we get the worse it is. If I turn around he almost pulls me over so sure its not a tiredness thing. I have managed one good mile walk but most times he just doesn't want to do it.

Now, he is shivering so assuming this means he is cold and not scared (although not sure how you tell the difference) should he have a coat on. Let's be fair its blooming freezing at the moment so am I being soft or should he be wrapped up, especially being so tiny and young.

Any advice on both issues please, I am going to take him in the car tomorrow to a trail as I was thinking if he cant see home he wont be so enthusiastic to get back to it

Thanks in advance..

Dave & Olly the Patterdale
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 07:49 AM
A mile is too far for a 12 week old puppy. The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes walk for each month of age so that's only 7.5 minutes each way!

It sounds like he has a confidence issue so he should be allowed to investigate his new surroundings at his pace so he doesn't become overfaced. Treat him and encourage him rather than pull him along (not suggesting you are doing this). Is he happy on his lead? Have you accustomed him to walking on the lead in the garden where there are no scary distractions?

I can't comment on whether he's cold or not. I wouldn't have thought so but then if he's not walking actively he might be. I think you just need patience and to 'jolly him along' until he realises it is good fun!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 07:55 AM
I am no way an expert on these things but first I think a mile walk for a 3 month old is a bit too much, and second he is a baby so the outside world is a bit of a fright, that may be why he is shivering.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 08:17 AM
firstly try walking him ON lthe lead in house & garden, So u can teach commands, eg With me, this way etc, If he stops you stand still & WITHOUT facing him encourage him to catch you up.

Drive him to the park & practise in there on the grass etc.
If you have a really long lead/line if he stops you can run off encouraging him!!!
Pavements are hard on Soft joints & painful on soft pads so its best to stick to the grass, with a tiny bit of pavement.

A mile is Wheyyyyy too much at his age,

Are you walking him in a collar & lead or a harness?

Enjoy!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 09:25 AM
What everyone else said and I would stick a coat on him - but introduce it slowly and in the house (but not for too long he'll overheat) that way he doesnt associate it with just the outside world. And what a opposite puppy, Louie at 3 months - just wanted to drag me out the door (he had a harness as not to hurt his neck)
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Dont forget to take some tasty treats to entice him