Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Slow cooker and winter recipies

Has anyone got any good slow cooker recipes or winter recipes, like soups? Perhaps we could have a share as the cold weather is coming in i'm dusting it off. x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 04:00 PM
The slow cooker is out all year round in this house, I couldn't be without it especially for boiling gammon, mmmmmmmm that smell!

The other day, I chunked up some rump steak, coated it in flour and fried it off. I fried off some onions. I used a packet of Coleman's or Swartz beef casserole mix, plus some gravy grans, used the water from my greens, threw it all into the fried beef and straight in the cooker. It sat there on high for 6 hours and boy was it good! The longer you leave it in there of course the better it is, so if you put something in before you go to work, by the time you get back it'll be scrummy yummy. I also cook my veggies in the morning, put them in those plastic microwave pots and microwave them for 1 or 2 mins when I get back, but of course, you have to wait for those spuds to cook, you can't do them early unless you cook them and fry them off when you're ready maybe?

Just remember everything has to be HOT when going into these things otherwise you defeat the object, you'd lose 2 hours cooking time!

Curried are good too, and boiled gammon, I always do mine in there.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I like to slow cook either pork steaks or sausages in cider with mushrooms and leeks and then make gravy with the juice afterwards.

I also love lamb shanks slow cooked and do most of my meat for sunday roasts in the slow cooker too.

Another good one is steak and ale pie but marinate the steak in the ale for 24 hours and it will be devine!

I don't really do measured quantities when cooking so don't have any set recipes -sorry!!

I'm another one for the slow cooker being out all year round as well!