and i have a rotty x ridgeback
and he licks and licks his paws until he bleeds
can anyone help me find a cure
thanks anna
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Anna welcome to Dogsey . What does your vet say, has he discounted allergies and mites, do you have things like harvest mites in your part of the world , they can cause a lot of irritation to a dog's paws .

Sometimes dogs can have a small irritation on a paw and they get into the habit of licking it. Licking is a pleasurable experience for a dog and once they start doing it they can continue to repeat the behaviour particularly at times when they are bored.

I would get your dog checked by a vet if you have not already done so to rule out any medical problem , look at the kind of food you are feeding to see if it is full of unnecessary additives and distract your dog when you see it licking with a toy or a filled kong maybe which will satisfy your dog's urge to lick.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 01:52 PM
It could be a reaction to Canine Distemper vaccine - it's a classic symptom.

Has he had this vaccination?
windza
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2009, 11:01 PM
can you please give me some remedies how to treat my puppy windza,he is still licking and he is having sores on his legs only,what can i put on it to discourage him from licking
he needs help we live on 5 acres and its hard to clean everything up from mites and bugs
thanks from his master anna
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:38 AM
He needs to see a vet urgently. We are not vets here and cannot give you remedies without knowing what the cause is. That can only be ascertained by a vet.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi Anna as I said in my previous post you need to see a vet. I note you live in NSW and have just come through a hot summer? I would guess you have lots of mites at this time of year.