Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 05:35 PM

Shadow's become destructive!

I work full time and my OH works part time, and we have a dog walker that comes for an hour, so the dogs are left on their own for 3 hours a day. But Shadow who's 9 months has been destructive the past while, he's chewed the radiator, a phone, some skirting board in the past but today took the biscuit he's chewed the wire of the tv, luckily it wasn't on! I'm now at my wits end at the damage he's causing, I'm wondering what I can do. He's left toys kongs, chews and bones to amuse himself with but he seems to play with them a while then go on a rampage! I've taken what I can out of the bedroom when we are out but he always finds something!
I have also tried locking him out the bedroom- this is when he chewed the skirting board.

I have thought of putting him in a cage but think 3 hours is too long for him being in a cage? And if he's not used to it he might just whine and bark causing my neighbours to complain.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
It sounds as if your pup has excess energy and his one hour with the dog walker isn't enough for him....Is it possible for either you or your OH to take hime for a walk and get him really tired out before you leave him on his own?
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Sorry forgot to say I take them out an hour before I leave and my OH half walks them when he gets back for an hour and a half! So they get 3 1/2 hours exercise and while I'm out and in the house I play games such as hide the ball/treat to wear him out as well, so I dont think exercise is an issue nor is his diet as we feed raw/naturediet to stop him getting addictives so he isn't hyper and he doesn't have a thyroid problem as I had him checked by the vet last week. :S
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
At 9 months, is he going through teething etc?

I must admit its one of the reasons I've always rescued older dogs - if you are not there all the time, it is very difficult to correct any unwated behaviour associated with pups/adolescents. (sorry, not that that is helpful advice for you).

Do you know whether the destruction occurs before or after the dog walker's visit (or both)? If after, do you trust that your dog walker is giving them the full hour and doing things with them to tire them mentally? (i.e. rather than just sitting with them for an hour or worse, skimping on the time she gives them).

Is there a way of watching what happens (video?) to see when he is at his most destructive? If you know it's at a certain time, it may help to stop it. e.g. if straight after you leave, it could be seperation anxiety, if later on, more likely to be boredom, in which case something like a 'kong dispenser' (which works on a timer) might help.
If before the dog walker, maybe ask her to come a little earlier, if after she has been - question whether she is doing enough to stimulate him.

Good luck
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2008, 08:17 PM
He's done all his teething, we've video taped him to see what he gets up to, He first plays with the toys and naps for about an hour then goes on the destructive path. and also starts about 1/2 hour after our dog walker has left. Our dog walker is a friend so I trust her completely and she's very good with the dogs.

Going to give the kong timer a go! Thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Let us know how it goes
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Yep i think the kong timer is a good idea, as it will give him something new.

What about using things like buster cubes, it's a different technique to the kong and can be a more active activity rather than chewing a kong. My mum's colliexgsd will play with an empty buster cube for hours! (silly boy!).

Maybe but a variety of interactive toys and alternate them so he doens't get expert at one, and bored of them.

Try not feeing him from a bowl and feeding through the interactive toys insted.

This combined with regular sprays of bitter apple spray on the things he has already chewed might work.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Does the bitter apple spray work??? I've seen in pets at home but wasnt if it work...
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Lol, re the bitter apple spray - i used to have a dog that loved the taste of it, lol

My dogs are left for a fair bit of time whilst i'm at work - they have a variety of toys with them though my girlie will generally just chill out. pup is not too bad but he does have an excess of energy that i have to drain as soon as i get back, lol.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Does the bitter apple spray work??? I've seen in pets at home but wasnt if it work...
I've never known the ones bought in pet shops to work, the ones that say "stop chewing spray" but i don't know of many dogs that love the taste of bitter apple spray. The only way you will know whether it works for your dog ornot is to buy some unfortunately...and reapply it regularly enough for them to get out of the habbit of chewing other things and notice all the nice new toys you are going to leave out for them.

I know soem peoples dogs get left for long hours and they say that you shouldn't leave toys because the idea is for them to sleep when you aren't there but i think dogs should be given an option of good things to do when you are not there. He is an intelligent dog so maybe he is bored of Kongs!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >