register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What is the better product?
Headcollar 12 48.00%
Harness 4 16.00%
Other 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
What is the best product for a dog pulling?
A head collar e.g gentle leaders, halti headcollars

Harness e.g halti harness, hi control.
Or other??
Leanne my personal preference is for a padded harness, it doesn't stop the pulling but it means there is no strain on the puppies neck and throat while it is learning not to pull .

My son has a Springer puppy, he pulls so hard on an ordinary collar his eyes become bloodshot. I think part of the problem is pulling can be self perpetuating, the more a puppy pulls the more it needs to pull to get away from the discomfort of the collar. Remove the pressure from the collar and the pulling may not be so bad.
The Springer puppy now has a harness, he still pulls but not so much, he is learning and his eyes and throat are no loner under stress. It is after all normal for a puppy to pull, they naturally walk faster than we do anyway and are eager to 'get going'.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2008, 02:32 AM
[quote=Malady;1398723]He stated as a last resort too, the bit you chose to omit
I was quoting posts number 2 and number 6 , I saw nothing about a last resort so omitted nothing ..

Why pick apart what another poster is saying, I dont get why it's so important to do that, is there something to prove ?
I wasn't picking anything apart just trying to clarify something I did not grasp

I took it as, regardless of what was said in a PM, the OP still asked a general question on the forum, and lets fact it Mini, had you not known about the PM at all, you would have just answered the OP without thinking twice

You may have, it was not clear to me, the OP said..

.We started with just a normal harness then were advised by our trainer, a head halti which we used but it seems all he still wants to do is pull and is now sitting in the kitchen broken! As I mentioned in the pm to you we have tried various ways to stop the pulling and from the advise you gave me in the pm we will try a different method but just want to see what other ppl's view/ideas are on what is the best thing to use as just a lead and collar is useless when it comes to him

Presumably this information would have been given by the O/P in the PM, so the Halti seemed out as did the collar, for all I know the responder Steve could have advised no collar at all with the method he suggested.
I just like things to be clear, they may be to you Malady they were not to me.

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 03:34 AM
My preference is Harness, [ not an `anti-pull`, just a bog standard Trail type ].
Not so much to use as a tool with an expectation of it doing the work for me like a head collar is often used to tightly control where a dog can even look, but as something in which a dog is physically comfortable and does`nt feel the need to fight against like a collar or head collar.
With a harness, the handler can play tag games without jerking the dogs throat and neck, [ direction and speed changes done as a fun interaction ], so that the dog enjoys that interaction, and learns to focus on the handler more, ideally to make the handler more interesting than the place / item the dog is trying to race to, so that instead of the dog trying to forge ahead they are happy to let the handler guide the speed and direction of the walk and without the dog being injured in the process, [ throat / neck damage risk ], and through positive feedback.
A correctly fitted and configured harness prevents pulling in as much s the dog can`t brace into it like the can a collar, [ or the wrong harness type ], which in itself gives the handler more confidence through knowing even if the dog lunges the handler will still be able to stop the dog with minimum effort - a handler not having an arm continually pulled from the socket is a lot more relaxed and patient so does`nt transfer frustration / annoyance to the dog, therefore in my experience a harness enables much more fun style positive interaction than a collar or head collar.
When it comes down to it, I want my dogs to walk nicely for me because they want to enjoy being next to me, not because they are being forced to or just`resigned` to it through the training not being enjoyable.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 06:57 AM
I use a Halti for Buzz, but it's not to stop him pulling, but to have more control over his head, due to his fear of people.

I clicker trained Buzz to not pull on the lead, just using a flat collar... I'm not sure if this is what you call 'Pussy Foot training'.. I don't think it is, it's about the dog making choices, as all animals do in the wild all the time.. They do things which they get rewarded for in some way or another.

Cheers
Lene
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Clicker is`nt pussyfooting at all imo, for the dogs which respond to it, its a very kind method as far as I`m concerned and can often achieve marvellous consistent and lasting results very quickly for so many things

*Timing is all important of course, so if anyone reading is interested in trying it but does`nt know much about clicker training application, do read up/watch vid demo`s, or have someone experienced demo it for you first as wrong handler timing can accidentally reinforce unwanted behaviours rather than shape the wanted ones
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I used a gentle leader on our previous dog Max and he got on with it very well, he was a large dog and a puller and it was the only safe way to walk him for me and for him and made our walks enjoyable.
Ollie is a totally different kettle of fish I got him a dogmatic not cheap but he became depressed and would lie down and refuse too budge he is 91/2 stone and you cannot budge him if he doesn't want too move. He hated it. I bought him a harness and he loves it is very good on it and we both now can enjoy our walks. He is also fearful of strangers and I have now got the easywalk premier harness with the front clip and the little strap bit that tightens across his chest it works really well for us. He also wears it when out on his long line on the fields, so if I need to stop him suddenly no injuries to his neck and shoulders.
I haven't voted because i have found both to be excellent it depends on your dog really.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I havn't voted as I now use a combination.
I use a halti harness with a lead just clipped on the front for road walking or where there may be other dogs, for maximum control and also a dogmatic headcollar so I have control of Shadys head in bad situations when she is likely to lunge etc as she is fear aggresive to other dogs and traffic.
I keep the lead on both of these loose and just use the harness lead to slow her if she is trying to walk faster than me and the halti to control her head should another dog come rushing over or she tries to grab passing traffic.
This way it gives me peace of mind, so i am more relaxed which transfers itself to Shady making her more relaxed.
Milo wears a normal harness, uses selective deafness and pulls if he wants to get somewhere and basically is at times a brat and other times lovely. Being little its not so bad but unless there is a tasty treat involved he goes deaf and despite going to obedience classes and me working hard with him he has a will of his own.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I use the premier easywalk harness sometimes for my two, for quick on lead walks to the fields.. as the two of them are in competition to get in front... but for proper on lead walking i still think the dogmatic headcollar is better.. even though my bitch spends the entire time trying to paw it off her face.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Clicker is`nt pussyfooting at all imo, for the dogs which respond to it, its a very kind method as far as I`m concerned and can often achieve marvellous consistent and lasting results very quickly for so many things

*Timing is all important of course, so if anyone reading is interested in trying it but does`nt know much about clicker training application, do read up/watch vid demo`s, or have someone experienced demo it for you first as wrong handler timing can accidentally reinforce unwanted behaviours rather than shape the wanted ones

Yes! Timing is the most important part, and you don't use the clicker as a gun pointed towards the animal... lol.. I watched Chet Womach's video and that's what HE did....

I also rescue birds... and they do extemely well on clicker training, probably better than dogs.

Cheers
Lene
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Maybe Steve Wishart can explain the 'pussy footing' training??? I have no idea..

Cheers
Lene
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »