register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What is the better product?
Headcollar 12 48.00%
Harness 4 16.00%
Other 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2008, 11:35 PM

What is better for pulling?

What is the best product for a dog pulling?

A head collar e.g gentle leaders, halti headcollars

Harness e.g halti harness, hi control.

Or other??
Steve Wishart
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Head Halti's simply distract the dog from pulling where as a harness gives you more control/more strength at pulling back. Ultimately, neither really train the dog to stop pulling, they just both stop the dog from doing what he wants to do, which is to pull.

Have you tried to train your dog not to pull at all Leanne?

If you just want an answer then it really depends on the dog, with a Collie/Huskey mix, I would advise on a head halti.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 12:35 AM
We started with just a normal harness then were advised by our trainer, a head halti which we used but it seems all he still wants to do is pull and is now sitting in the kitchen broken! As I mentioned in the pm to you we have tried various ways to stop the pulling and from the advise you gave me in the pm we will try a different method but just want to see what other ppl's view/ideas are on what is the best thing to use as just a lead and collar is useless when it comes to him!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
We started with just a normal harness then were advised by our trainer, a head halti which we used but it seems all he still wants to do is pull and is now sitting in the kitchen broken! As I mentioned in the pm to you we have tried various ways to stop the pulling and from the advise you gave me in the pm we will try a different method but just want to see what other ppl's view/ideas are on what is the best thing to use as just a lead and collar is useless when it comes to him![/
Hi Leanne as the rest of us don't know what method was suggested to you in the PM you received it is a little difficult to say which lead and collar would be appropriate to use with the method .
Had the advice been posted on the forum we could have all shared it and offered our own experiences and suggestions (which is why we have forums).
Why don't you try the advice and see if it works .
Steve Wishart
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-06-2008, 01:16 AM
The halti should only really be used as a last resort, or as something to use inbetween training.

Your dog could pull for a number of reasons, he may simply just want to run, he may feel the need to lead you, or he may simply just want to go in the direction he is pulling.

Even when you are moving towards the direction he is pulling (even if 100% of you is trying to go the other way), he is being rewarded.

Whilst I think it's clear that others will disagree with me on this, but I do essentially wait until my Mal is submissive in a nonchalant like state as if to say "I don't care if we go out or not" way, of course he wants to go out, but the boundary has been set before we even leave the house, I won't tolerate him being overly-excited on the short walk to the park, once he's dropped his excitement level, will we leave the house.

I do make him sit at the front door with his collar on whilst watching me leave the house first, only after he has shown me that he isn't excited, will I call him out of the door to join me on the 'hunt'. Whilst a lot of dogs respect their owners inside the house, the outside world is a completely different ball game. You are no longer competing with the same old smells of that coffee table and the worn out sofa in his eyes, when you are outside, you are now competing with a world full of different smells and that same respect just don't quite cut it. You need to be more important than the thousands of smells that your dog can almost taste and you're left with the task of having to try to be more important than all of those smells long enough for him to focus on you.

If you have a big enough garden, or house for that matter, try and lead train him there. He knows all of those smells and he is immensely more receptive to you at home. If you can master it at home, it won't take too much effort trying to replicate it away from home.

In essence, if you are only trying to leash train him over the park with other dogs he wants to play with and near smells he wants to sniff, he won't pay attention long enough at all, no matter how many of his favourite treats you brought with you.
Steve Wishart
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Leanne as the rest of us don't know what method was suggested to you in the PM you received it is a little difficult to say which lead and collar would be appropriate to use with the method .
Had the advice been posted on the forum we could have all shared it and offered our own experiences and suggestions (which is why we have forums).
Why don't you try the advice and see if it works .
I think it was pretty clear Mini that the topic wasn't regarding any method discussed and as such, the PM sent has no real bearing on this topic. In fact, my reply to the original post was done so without the PM I sent in mind, it was only after Leanne mentioned the PM in her reply that I actually remembered (and thus explains my reply to that post).

The question itself was pretty straight-forward I thought, what halti is best for a dog that pulls? Head, Harness or Other?

Oh, and for the record, I wouldn't advise any halti product, harness or head, to be used in a dog pulling training method. Just stick to a normal lead and a normal collar, that's pretty much all you need.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I've used a Canny Collar and think they are great.

As with many things dog related, you may need to try a few to see what works best with your own dog
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Wishart View Post
I think it was pretty clear Mini that the topic wasn't regarding any method discussed and as such, the PM sent has no real bearing on this topic. In fact, my reply to the original post was done so without the PM I sent in mind, it was only after Leanne mentioned the PM in her reply that I actually remembered (and thus explains my reply to that post).
Can't quite grasp the meaning of this sorry

Originally Posted by Steve
The question itself was pretty straight-forward I thought, what halti is best for a dog that pulls? Head, Harness or Other
? I though the question was which product, it need not necessarily be a Halti ?

Originally Posted by steve
Oh, and for the record, I wouldn't advise any halti product, harness or head, to be used in a dog pulling training method. Just stick to a normal lead and a normal collar, that's pretty much all you need.
Originally Posted by Steve
If you just want an answer then it really depends on the dog, with a Collie/Huskey mix, I would advise on a head halti.
Sorry Steve I am not being pedantic but the last two seem to conflict or perhaps its because it is very late I will see if I can grasp it better tomorrow.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Well as mine are worked, the minute a harness goes on they're off the starting line

So for that reason, we can't use walking harness and when I am walking them both together I sometimes use a halti on my bitch, because, she still thinks she's lead dog, even on walks, and pulls like a trogan, and I can't be doing with one arm longer than the other !
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Can't quite grasp the meaning of this sorry

I took it as, regardless of what was said in a PM, the OP still asked a general question on the forum, and lets fact it Mini, had you not known about the PM at all, you would have just answered the OP without thinking twice

? I though the question was which product, it need not necessarily be a Halti ?

I think it was a typo, you know that !

Sorry Steve I am not being pedantic but the last two seem to conflict or perhaps its because it is very late I will see if I can grasp it better tomorrow.
He stated as a last resort too, the bit you chose to omit

Why pick apart what another poster is saying, I dont get why it's so important to do that, is there something to prove ?
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »