View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2004, 12:28 PM
I would be doing some dragging and pulling of my own kind, if someone did that...
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2004, 01:46 PM
I think my main prob was that because I don't have any experience I don't know what was right or wrong but my instincts told me that it was wrong!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Sam, go with your instincts on this class, if you are not happy, Sonny will not be happy and will sense it from you.
Sandra
Dogsey Junior

01-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Boxers work differently from other breeds. They are not Border Collies, Labradors, GSDs, etc
No breed should be treated like this trainer is suggesting. I certainly would not let her do it to my Border Collie.

Sam, stay well away from this class, no dog should not be given this kind of handling.

The link Carole put up sounds more like what you should be looking for, a member of the APDT should not handle dogs in this way. If it is not close to you, look on their website for one that is.

Good Luck, there are good trainers out there.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

02-05-2004, 02:32 AM
Oh dear! Sandra - I was not suggesting that BCs, or any other dog, should be dragged about in the manner that Sonny was.

My point was that trainers should not expect Boxers, which were bred to be independent working dogs, to respond in exactly the same manner as the herding/sporting breeds which have been specifically developed to work very closely with man.

AZZ - Happy to help if I can with any training problems
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

02-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Hi Shadowboxer - thanks for the offer, I was thinking along the lines of perhaps starting a 'training course' here on Dogweb and we could all be your students!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

02-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Azz,

I certainly do not claim to know everything - but 40+ years means that I have made most of the mistakes, and, hopefully, found some of the answers.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

02-05-2004, 01:05 PM
lol I'm sure you know far far far more than me!

I shall call on your wisdom some time soon I guess!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Change trainers now before they do more harm than good. Neither dog, nor person should be treated like that. Think the fact that they have been training since the year dot is half the problem they have closed their minds to new methods and new knowledge. Trainers, I feel, should be training you to handle your dog, not making you feel stupid by dragging your dog around, poor thing will be totally confused and you will be distressed
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi

I would also change class. I have a great trainer, but then I have a lab and as they are very food orientated all I need is good treats, and I can get Luna to do anything - well almost anything - she won-t bark on command!!!!

She is now the only dog out of 10, all the others barks but not Luna.

Any advice on that?

Jeanette
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2