Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2004, 09:43 PM

I could have cried.....

it was sonnys second week at obedience class and it was horrible - I am new to this and please tell me if I am getting worked up over nothing. Sonny pulls and isn't very obedient on his lead ( he is still a pup and wants to just play all the time esp. with other dogs) he wouldn't stay on my left side and kept trying to pull away the women who runs the class grabbed him and dragged him round the room. Her view was that he must do what I tell him and I had to be firm - I can understand that but she just kept dragging him and pulling him and another thing they activly promote check chains which I had been told where dangerous - sonny has a half check. Maybe this is how these things work but I just wanted to cuddle sonny and take him home - however I know he needs trained and this is supposed to be one of the best classes.

Sorry this has gone on I know that most of you are more experienced than me and may be able to put my mind at ease

thanks Sam xx
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

30-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi Sam

I'm not really experienced either Sam so know how you feel - especially if someone else is being 'rough' with 'your' dog.

I think Boxers are naturally very plaful, when we went to puppy classes there was one there and he was full of beans and as you said, just wanted (typically of a Boxer) to play, play, play.

Maybe you could email a Boxer club and ask them what they find is the best way to train a boxer? As I think Sonny's behaviour is typical of a Boxer and thats one of innocent Play

I think it's important in all bull breeds however to always maintain you are the Alpha and make sure he knows it. The way I am with Rocky is I will be fair and let him play but when I really need him to not, or to calmed down I let him know - I raise my voice. It is a must that he knows you are the alpha.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2004, 10:01 PM
I know what you mean about the alpha thing - Sonny sometimes pushes you and tries to be the boss but we try to be as firm as pos. to be honest though he is generally ok the only main prob that we wanted the class to address was his jumping up on people cause he is getting too big and is knocking my little sisters off their feet. But I am commited and will do what has to be done - but thanks Azz I think I will give the boxer club an email.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Hello Sam,

I think it is your "trainer" who should be crying - in shame at her abysmal lack of knowledge and understanding of how to train dogs in general, and Boxers in particular. Boxers work differently from other breeds. They are not Border Collies, Labradors, GSDs, etc. and this needs to recognised.

Also, they do not respond well to verbal or physical force. Dragging Sonny, or any other dog, around the room in order to make a point is poor handling at its worst.

I don't know if you have taught Sonny the "watch me" command. If not, you need to start. Re heeling, until he understands what you want use a food treat as a lure as well as a reward. Once he has the idea you can gradually move your left hand, which holds the treat, away from his nose and close to your waist.

Sonny is still just a baby, of course he will want to play and explore. Keep his training sessions very short and make them a fun time for him. Personally I would give this training school a wide berth, and I would not be talked into a full check collar. If you do go back to the same person do not allow the trainer to do anything that you are not happy about.

I have obedience trained Boxers for several years - if you have any questions, need any help, do get in touch via PM.
Carole
Supervisor

01-05-2004, 10:59 AM
I bought a book from Lynn Aitchison, "Train Your Dog @Home". It is a training course you do from home. We have been working through that.
It is a 6 week course.

Here is a link for her:

www.lynn-the-dog-lady.co.uk

Another thing is the trainer at the class a member of APDT. (A dog trainers institute)
Carole
Supervisor

01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Sam, the best way to stop Sonny jumping is to ignore him for 5 minutes when you come in and turn away if he tries to jump on you or your sisters.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Carole these people have been doing this for 20 yrs they have all the appropreate qualifications and are supposed to take one of the better training classes - the vet said try and go to the rutherglen class cause the trainer at the other one was too rough - I would hate to see what he was like!!!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

01-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Hello Sam,

I think it is your "trainer" who should be crying - in shame at her abysmal lack of knowledge and understanding of how to train dogs in general, and Boxers in particular. Boxers work differently from other breeds. They are not Border Collies, Labradors, GSDs, etc. and this needs to recognised.

Also, they do not respond well to verbal or physical force. Dragging Sonny, or any other dog, around the room in order to make a point is poor handling at its worst.

I don't know if you have taught Sonny the "watch me" command. If not, you need to start. Re heeling, until he understands what you want use a food treat as a lure as well as a reward. Once he has the idea you can gradually move your left hand, which holds the treat, away from his nose and close to your waist.

Sonny is still just a baby, of course he will want to play and explore. Keep his training sessions very short and make them a fun time for him. Personally I would give this training school a wide berth, and I would not be talked into a full check collar. If you do go back to the same person do not allow the trainer to do anything that you are not happy about.

I have obedience trained Boxers for several years - if you have any questions, need any help, do get in touch via PM.
Great advice there Shadowboxer, thanks!
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
I know Azz have PM'd shadowboxer for some more advice.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

01-05-2004, 12:00 PM
please share it with us too

Maybe Shadowboxer could start some training classes here?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >