Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Forgot to say thanks I am going to be a mountain of knowledge thanks to you lot
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

28-04-2004, 09:25 PM
hi,
as i said it really is a last resort collar pinch and prong are the same thing just people call them the differ of 2, no they do not hurt the dog, they correct them as they would in the wild with a slight nip in the neck by the alpha dog if they were needing corrected!!!there are better ways of correcting your dog but some dogs can be really stubborn!!!!and it is a most effective way of controlling and correcting your dog.....never judge a book by the cover
kinzy
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2004, 09:34 PM
I must admit I had a look at them on another site and was a bit frightened at first - they look scary - but I read the stuff and I can see why you may want to use one - the women who wrote it had disabilaties and i can understand that. I think I agree though that it would have to be a last resort, but thanks for telling me about them you learn something new everyday
corsogirl
Dogsey Junior

04-05-2004, 06:12 AM
IMO!!! If you take the time to train your dog/s then there is no need to use them, i have used them! not because i wanted to but because i was asked to by the owners of the dogs as i worked at an E.Mastiff kennels which was owned by Americans, and to let novice people use these on there pets is not the right way to go.These were only used by trainers at one time but now any one can get hold of them, just like the E.Collar, I can not understand why people would want to hurt there friend? i couldnt think of doing any thing that would hurt my lot, i love them to much and they want to please me, and yes i train my dogs.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 05:41 PM
prong collar does not hurt your dog, i went to a dog behaviourist before using mine and was taught how to use them...what is better a slight nip effect or choking your dog with a choke chain???
kinzy
corsogirl
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Okay you went to a behaviourist to be taught how to use one? but not every one will do/or does that and there poor dog goes through hell. And yes i agree the check chain is another thing that people need to use correctly lots dont they just put one on to the dog wrap the chain lead around there hand and just choke the dog
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

19-05-2004, 01:54 PM
I personally think that prongs should not be available to the general public.

They are wonderful tools for training, but get abused WHY too much, sometimes intentionally.. sometimes unintentionally..

90% of people do not know how to use them correctly, which can cause damage to the dog, and really make huge backward steps in the dog's training, by infact teaching more bad behaviour than good!
Teddy
Dogsey Junior

21-05-2004, 06:25 PM
If a prong collar is not fitted correctly and is too loose then it can cause the dog a lot of pain and discomfort and in my opinion IS barbaric. If it has a snug fit then it can be an effective training tool, increasing control over the dog making it easier for the handler.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2