Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Bad manners..

It is so annoying..

I was molested by a lab this morning! About 4 dogs came over and said hallo the other were all ok and kept their paws on the ground but the lab jumped up at my legs ( it could smell the treats I carry for my boys) I said 'no' and 'down' but the dog just didnt listen..

The owners were talking among themselves and seemed oblvious of their dogs bad manners , but then I dont think the owers had much in the way of manners either so that could explain it,,

I was wearing wellies and old jeans, so the mud wasnt an issue, Im fairly well built and strong so the dog didnt knock me over but I do bruise easily and by the time I got home two blue patches had appeared at the top of my leg.

Ive taught my dogs not to jump up at people and even off lead they dont do it , why is it that some people dont understand that their dogs bad manners can be very annoying and upsetting for some people not to mention possible dangers of knocking people over or injury?
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Dorrit, think you are right in that it's the owners manners or rather lack of. My Poppy is a bit of a 'jump up' especially if she can smell food but that's only with people she trusts. If she were to do it to some random person in the park I would immediately stop her. Also I think some owners think "ah isn't my dog being sweet and friendly" well obviously not the case for the other person especially if they are trying to tell the dog down as you were. One of the trials of walking our dogs in the park.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I think your 100% correct on it being a case, where the dog could in the future knock over a person injury them.

My big concern would also be the dog jumping on someone and there dog correcting the lab.

I'm quite sure the lab owners would then be up in arms about a dog attacking the lab.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Some people think things like this is 'just a dog being a dog' think it's very similar to boys breaking things and saying 'boys will be boys'. Not helpful and the behaviour should be stopped.
I think any dog jumping up is bad enough but labs are a decent size, I'm sure if you were elderly or frail you could have ended up on the floor. It's not acceptable and I wish owners would recognise that.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks for confirming its not just me being a grumpy old woman.
I hope that the lab doesnt end up getting accused of anything nasty , he was friendly just a bit OTT..
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Unfortunately this behaviour is still classed as 'dangerously out of control'. I really hope he doesn't hurt someone or jump up at the wrong person. It could turn nasty pretty quickly, and I don't mean by the lab.
If this is in the UK it might be worth pointing this out to them in as nice and polite way as possible. Something I would drill into owners when I used to run puppy classes, a dog doesn't have to bite to be 'dangerous'.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-05-2015, 04:43 PM
You would be wasting your time and energy speaking to the owners of this poor dog. At best you would likely be subjected to abuse and invective and the worst case scenario doesn't bear thinking about. Far better if possible to avoid them and seek quieter company for yourself and your canine companion. You may indeed be a grumpy old woman and have every right to be when confronted by this sort of performance, it's just not on, but in these modern times it is becoming increasingly rare to find anyone who does give a poo! Hope it doesn't happen again!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Not an ideal situation at all and no you are not being a grumpy old woman. A trainer many years ago when we took Ollie along for a some training told us a GR jumped up a t a woman in a park and she reported it as being out of control. The woman was spoken too and her dog then had to spend a lifetime on a lead and with a muzzle when out. The dog was not dangerous did not attempt to bite was just a rumbustious young dog who picked the wrong person to jump at.
I always work on teaching my dogs manners especially where treats and food are concerned for their own safety as much as anything else.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Sorry to say, I have to disagree. I'll always take the time to speak with the owner of a dog, while yes I may have the advantage of being a huge scary guy with a big scary dog. Most people I speak with pay some attention. They really perk up when I inform them they could be facing a lawsuit if the dog jumps on someone knocking them down.
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
You would be wasting your time and energy speaking to the owners of this poor dog. At best you would likely be subjected to abuse and invective and the worst case scenario doesn't bear thinking about. Far better if possible to avoid them and seek quieter company for yourself and your canine companion. You may indeed be a grumpy old woman and have every right to be when confronted by this sort of performance, it's just not on, but in these modern times it is becoming increasingly rare to find anyone who does give a poo! Hope it doesn't happen again!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Without trying to sound totally judgemental I try to guess what their response to me telling them any information might be. If it's a typical dog walker then I assume that they don't know any better, if it's some yob then yeah, avoid and try to get on with my day. I like to think that some of the people I've informed about the DDA have taken it on board and have worked with their dog. Yes sometimes I get told to mind my own business and not always in such nice words but I focus on the dog, he or she doesn't know not to jump up and if someone reports them it could be the dog's life on the line.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >