Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Sometimes people with experience are better to listen to
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Kind of you to say but I find it best to take in everything and sort out what suits you. For some reason I find I question everything because I feel I know so little, but I have found that you are not always given the best and sometimes the truth in a reply. So I am happy to answer peoples questions but do not mind if they ignore what I say on the other hand I hope people do not mind if I in turn ask questions.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Carol I have been thinking about your problem and if you had a dog that could wear a halti type collar I would suggest using that in conjuction with the clicker, but some Boxers can't wear a halti. Can yours of have you not tried.
Carole
Supervisor

29-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi Thordell

We use a halti, but I find it rubs Stars eyes after a while.

So, basically click and treat her when she is walking beside me

I have noticed an improvement over the last few days. We have been working hard. Stopping and making Star sit every time she pulls. When I am consistant it is working Takes a while to get where we are going but worth the effort.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Yes, it is easy to explain to someone how to teach the sit or recall but to stop pulling is difficult. Try stoping when she pulls and say nothing but wait till she returns to your side, then click and treat, to start with you may need to encourage her by clicking when she makes any move toward slacking off the lead. But don't speak, let her work out why you have stopped and what she needs to do to please you. That may not make sense but you seem to be doing well anyway, but I'll repete because it is important, don't say anything until she is back at your side and you have clicked.
Carole
Supervisor

30-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks Thordell, will have a go
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

30-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Carole clicker training has definitely worked with Saffy and Max. Saffy tho has always been good to train because she is food orientated. Max has a mind of his own, and it took some training to get him to actually want to do it. With Max its a case of he hears the clicker then he looks and thinks do I actually want a treat or not.
Carole
Supervisor

30-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Roxy, Im going to have a try. Star will do anything for food
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

03-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi Carole,

I can identify with the smashed mouth, Grace did that to me a few weeks ago!

Clicker training will definately help teaching the command. I'm going to do some bits on clicker training (been working away for a week so I'm all behind) so would it help to do the heel command first?
Carole
Supervisor

03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi Alison

Yes, the heel command would be ideal. We have been working without the halti with some success but would appreciate some help with clicker training her, if possible.

With regards to smashed faces, how heavy do you think their heads weigh
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2