View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I have ordered The Culture Clash. I have been using The Perfect Puppy which I read before I got her and was really helpful - didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many books early on but think I'm ready for another now!

I feeling reassured that in general our approach so far has been ok , rewarding good behaviour etc, and actually we don't need to be all dominent as I'm being told by other people. We maybe need to focus more on resource guarding which we hadn't really thought too much about before now.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Well done for asking for advice so early on, and for being sensible enough to question what you have been told by your colleague

The Perfect Puppy is good, as are the other books and links mentioned, so the only thing I'd add is that if you are at all concerned further, or if you find things are getting worse, contact a reputable person to help you - they will come to your home and be able to give you sensible advice, hands on

Don't rely on newspapers ads for this - because anyone can call themselves a dog trainer or behaviourist, and some are not very good and will make things worse. So if you do go down this path, try someone from:

www.apbc.org.uk
www.capdt.org
www.apdt.co.uk (these are trainers, but some do have a behavioural interest).

'Good luck

Wys
x
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks, we are still going to training but it's Monday nights and the biting incident was this Tuesday so I'll bring it up in the next session but needed advice before that! We go to Surrey Dog Training Society which was recommended on here.
carreksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Jackie, it must have been a shock for you. I agree with the general replies you have had, some very sensible ones. You said that you were in a hurry that day and I wonder if you moved very quickly and this startled her. Dogs can sense so much about how we feel so she could also have picked up on a 'mood' that was new to her. As others have said she was cornered with nowhere to go and in her world had no option. You said that her attitude seems to have changed since this episode, again I wonder if she's picking up on your loss of confidence. Try to relax around her and with a little patience it should right itself.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I seem to have figured out a pattern. She acts out when she's pissed at us, basically. So, when we try and move her from a comfy spot, however gently and nicely (and always making sure she's awake first!). Or when we try to stop her doing her own thing like when we were holding on to her at a picnic, again very gently or just keeping her on a short lead, but she got fed up and snappy. She has also started ignoring us when we call sometimes and is straying further when off lead. So generally a grumpy little strop head. But I wasn't expecting this for another month or so!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
I seem to have figured out a pattern. She acts out when she's pissed at us, basically. So, when we try and move her from a comfy spot, however gently and nicely (and always making sure she's awake first!). Or when we try to stop her doing her own thing like when we were holding on to her at a picnic, again very gently or just keeping her on a short lead, but she got fed up and snappy. She has also started ignoring us when we call sometimes and is straying further when off lead. So generally a grumpy little strop head. But I wasn't expecting this for another month or so!
Are you picking her up a lot?

I have met smaller dogs who really, really dislike being picked up, either due to nervousness/anxiety about being off the ground, or having been dropped or put down from a distance to the floor.

I do think there may be some resource guarding going on, but if you do pick her up a lot then maybe time to rethink it and treat her like a larger dog

She will of course need to be handled, but that's different to being picked up.

Wys
x
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2012, 02:05 PM
She is very much treated like a larger dog most of the time, I certainly don't carry her round, but there are some times when I need to pick her up simply because of her tiny size! Eg on walks occasionally to get over obstacles, to put her on a table for her health checks, to get her in and out of her carrier in the car...and a lot of the time she is desperate to be on laps etc, and I do make her sit and wait before picking her up to my lap.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi Jackie, sorry that I have only just read your thread. Don't panic about Pippa, both of mine have gone through phases and we have managed to sort them all out. The advise you've been given here is excellent.
My only concern is that your trainer doesn't use treats. I still treat my two more often than not just to reassure the good behaviour. One day Rucksack jumped onto one of our lounge chairs and then proceeded to growl when my OH tried to man-handle him off it. The advice given to me here worked and that was to give him a command 'off' (or whatever you fancy) and then treat him. I also advised my OH never to man-handle him again. He is absolutely fine now (the dog not my OH ).
I'm sure Pippa simply picked up on your 'rush' and felt threatened.
I also learnt that if one of mine are doing something wrong not to use a high 'shouty' voice. I now always use a low 'calm' voice even if I really want to shout!!
Good luck and I'm sure you'll sort it.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks Jenny I am being much more aware now of picking up on things before they escalate so hoping we'll get through it! My trainer does use treats, sorry I have caused confusion. It is my colleague who doesn't use any treats. I have decided to take advice from this colleague with a pinch of salt, as although her dogs are very well behaved, I am going to do things differently!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2