Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Suggestions on training - again

Firstly, apologies for all the questions but I wanted to share mine and Riley's training/exercise routine to see if anyone had any suggestions or critisms (<- but please be nice ) on how we can improve.

Also, we are considering a class and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what we should be looking/aiming for.

In the morning Riley has Applaws dog food during recall/heel training around the field on the farm here.

Lunch time we have an hour walk on lead time.

Then in the afternoon we go for approximately 5-7mile walk, mostly on the lead but with some ball time and recall training with his tea - raw mince/chicken at the moment.

Around 9pm we do the same walk every night around country park on lead, for lead training usually about an hour.

We are using the clicker for this.

We also do some clicker stuff inside mostly sitting down but he's cracked that one.

Is there anything we should be adding/taking away?

At the weekend the 5 mile walk was replaced with a 10mile walk and we will continue to do this at the weekend. Do you think we should be increasing his amount of exercise?

In terms of classes what do you think we should be aiming/looking for training wise?

Thank you everyone for your help
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
You could look into the Kennel Club's Good Citizen scheme - they give you set levels to achieve and it could be good for giving some shape to your training. I'd recommend finding an APDT registered trainer who will use positive methods
http://www.apdt.co.uk
Another good website I'm using for inspiration is the Dragonfly Llama levels - they've published them into books now but you can read the old version for free on their website
http://www.sue-eh.ca/ - "Writing" then "Training levels (originals)"
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
How old is Riley?

If I read your routine correctly, he is getting 3-4+ hours of walks and training per day? my opinion is that is a lot and perhaps overkill for a pet dog. Obviously not in terms of physically -- most active adult dogs will take whatever you throw at them. But you can over stimulate a dog which isn't ideal if they need down time for whatever reason (because they or you are injured, your routine changes, etc.).

This is why I don't 'do' routine with my dogs. I want them to be adaptable and not come to expect having an hours walk here and an hours training there at specific times.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You could look into the Kennel Club's Good Citizen scheme - they give you set levels to achieve and it could be good for giving some shape to your training. I'd recommend finding an APDT registered trainer who will use positive methods
http://www.apdt.co.uk
Another good website I'm using for inspiration is the Dragonfly Llama levels - they've published them into books now but you can read the old version for free on their website
http://www.sue-eh.ca/ - "Writing" then "Training levels (originals)"
Ah thanks for the links!

Good Citizen Scheme made me smile
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How old is Riley?

If I read your routine correctly, he is getting 3-4+ hours of walks and training per day? my opinion is that is a lot and perhaps overkill for a pet dog. Obviously not in terms of physically -- most active adult dogs will take whatever you throw at them. But you can over stimulate a dog which isn't ideal if they need down time for whatever reason (because they or you are injured, your routine changes, etc.).

This is why I don't 'do' routine with my dogs. I want them to be adaptable and not come to expect having an hours walk here and an hours training there at specific times.
More like 5+ hours walks + training time per day.

He's ~ 5yrs old and a collie cross so I assumed lots & lots of exercise and mental stimulation would be key to a happy healthy dog - too much??

The time routine could be an issue but if for any reason I can't take him out my O/H can - or my farther-in-law would look after him (in which he already walks about 12 miles a day without a dog!)

Maybe swap & change it around??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
More like 5+ hours walks + training time per day.

He's ~ 5yrs old and a collie cross so I assumed lots & lots of exercise and mental stimulation would be key to a happy healthy dog - too much??

The time routine could be an issue but if for any reason I can't take him out my O/H can - or my farther-in-law would look after him (in which he already walks about 12 miles a day without a dog!)

Maybe swap & change it around??
Yes I think it 5 hours of walking plus training is way too much. There is too much of a good thing and you risk making a rod for your own back.

If a dog is getting 5+ hours of exercise per day, you are going to end up with a very fit dog who eventually won't settle for anything less than that. If your dog gets injured and needs to be rested, he will struggle going from 5+ hours of exercise to zero. Also, presumably you don't work full time if you are able to exercise your dog for more than 5 hours a day, so consider the impact of a sudden change of circumstances.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 01:54 PM
With training I tend to look at what the dog enjoys and has an aptitude for, then at what I enjoy, then find a way to pursue that.
So if the dog likes learning new things there`s HTM. If the dog likes using his nose there`s gundog stuff or trackng or scent games.
Obedience bores me rigid so we don`t bother with that and agility isn`t suitable for old dears who can`t run so that`s out.
Maybe you could try a few workshops in various things and see what you and your dog like to do?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Perhpas just mix it up a bit so some days the dog gets 5 hours, some days just 2.

Have you thought about feeding the dog different ways for the days you do less? I feed my dog from a ball, kong or kong wobbler most days just to add a bit of stimulation and variation.

If your dog enjoys training then have you thought of teaching him a variety of tricks?
Collies are often quick to learn and can be hard to tire physically so mental training could be fun for him, especially if he's already clicker trained.

Things like Paw, Rollover, Spin shouldn't be too difficult to teach
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow im not letti g phoebe read this. If she finda out dogs are getting 5 hours a day ill have a diva strop on my hands.

I say try a few diffrent things and see what fits. As you seam quite active maybe agility or flyball would be fun. Some clubs do tester days where you can have a go and see if you like it. Also there is the trick training on here (if its still going) that could keep you busy at home and its fun. Me and phoebe have been at it for months we dont seam to be getting anywhere but you will probably have better luck
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2012, 08:32 PM
sounds like your dog doesn't have time to get bored i'm lucky in that my youngest dog 6 year old bedlington x whippet is rather lazy. she had a 1/2 hour walk this morning, then had a mad 1/4 hour when i got home from shopping, she was racing round the house & then we had a bit of a wrestle & then has been flaked out on my bed for the last 5 hours! not sure whether we'll get any training in later, depends whether she can summon enough energy to actually get up & off the bed my older dog is 12 now & although she's still going strong & would likely walk miles if i allowed her to i do have to be careful with how much exercise she gets because given the chance i think she would walk until she collapsed! she still has more energy in the house than my younger dog though as long as she has lots of little rests

all i would really suggest with changing what your already doing is mixing things up a bit, do things at different times & soemtimes shorter walks just so he doesn't get into a routine because then if your running late you will get hassled until you do what your meant to be doing at that time. poppy actually sends everyone to bed at 10pm!

as others have suggested you could try agility or flyball or teach some fun tricks. poppys favourite thing to do is taking my socks off, even when she's really tired she pounces on my feet if she catches me taking my socks off myself. you could try some toys such as kongs filled with food to keep him busy for awhile. possibly try jogging with him sometimes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >