Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Just noticed your response - no he doesn't snarl or growl at me at all - he stands very firm very solid and his head is very high - a VERY dominant stand, I then push him really very firmly and say NO in a very loud voice and he roles over in an extremely submissive way.
A dog freezing and being rigid is a stressed and anxious dog. Truly dominant dogs don`t posture. They are relaxed because they are confident.
If you verbally attack a frightened dog they have two responses - fight or cringe. You are lucky your dog is not pushy and is opting for the lesser option.
I fear you are mis-reading your dog - please read some modern books on training.
Here are a couple of sites that might help -

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/diagrams.html

http://www.fun4fido.co.uk/blog/debun...ance-myth.html
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi - thanks for your observations, quite surprising really as he doesn't strike me as having an anxious bone in his body - although he does get very whiny and chattery in situations where he is not sure of himself - e.g at the training, he whined for at least the first 30 mins or so. The standing over me is not as much freezing as a rigid/dominant position i.e trying to stand over me and his head held high. If you think it is anxiety I shall certainly re-evaluate.
sandy

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
A dog freezing and being rigid is a stressed and anxious dog. Truly dominant dogs don`t posture. They are relaxed because they are confident.
If you verbally attack a frightened dog they have two responses - fight or cringe. You are lucky your dog is not pushy and is opting for the lesser option.
I fear you are mis-reading your dog - please read some modern books on training.
Here are a couple of sites that might help -

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/diagrams.html

http://www.fun4fido.co.uk/blog/debun...ance-myth.html
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I just wanted to add that it sounds as though you are trying really hard, and great that you have found a training class

I agree with others about losing the rattle bottle. I think it is exacerbating your dog's tension/excitement, which is the very opposite of what you want, i.e. to keep him calm.

Perhaps keep his interactions with other dogs very brief AND then reward for calm or purely playful behaviour. I also think you need to work hard on the recall so that ultimately, even if you need a muzzle, your boy can be off lead. It will take time to build up the recall but it's worth it.

Best of luck
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Hi Tabitha

Thanks so much for your response - you're right I do try really hard with him, I really want the best for him and am very proud of him, he's a great boy, just very adolescent! I agree with your sentiment that rescue dogs rock (or words to that effect). I feel so much more satisfied knowing that he's got a really good home now and probably would still be languishing in kennels had I not taken him - he was a difficult dog to rehome apparently - jittery, jumpy, very staffie looking etc.. but he's a diamond dog and just needed to be out of that environment to shine.

I'm relieved to say I'm ditching the stones in a bottle - it's a horrible practice. When I took him from the kennels, they showed me how to squirt water in his face when he saw a cat, squirrel etc.. that was horrible too - he just looked confused and scared.

His recall in practice is absolutely excellent - he turns on a sixpence and returns - if however when we're out and there's a rabbit, squirrel, duck, seagull etc.. I find it virtually impossible to get him back. I think they call this a work in progress. Well he's certainly a practice. That's why the trainers thought he was a wonderful dog - excellent on lead, excellent to go down when told, sit, no snatching of his treats, completely indifferent to other dogs in his class etc.. almost like he knows how to behave in front of them.

Sandy

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I just wanted to add that it sounds as though you are trying really hard, and great that you have found a training class

I agree with others about losing the rattle bottle. I think it is exacerbating your dog's tension/excitement, which is the very opposite of what you want, i.e. to keep him calm.

Perhaps keep his interactions with other dogs very brief AND then reward for calm or purely playful behaviour. I also think you need to work hard on the recall so that ultimately, even if you need a muzzle, your boy can be off lead. It will take time to build up the recall but it's worth it.

Best of luck
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi Tabitha

Thanks so much for your response - you're right I do try really hard with him, I really want the best for him and am very proud of him, he's a great boy, just very adolescent! I agree with your sentiment that rescue dogs rock (or words to that effect). I feel so much more satisfied knowing that he's got a really good home now and probably would still be languishing in kennels had I not taken him - he was a difficult dog to rehome apparently - jittery, jumpy, very staffie looking etc.. but he's a diamond dog and just needed to be out of that environment to shine.

I'm relieved to say I'm ditching the stones in a bottle - it's a horrible practice. When I took him from the kennels, they showed me how to squirt water in his face when he saw a cat, squirrel etc.. that was horrible too - he just looked confused and scared.

His recall in practice is absolutely excellent - he turns on a sixpence and returns - if however when we're out and there's a rabbit, squirrel, duck, seagull etc.. I find it virtually impossible to get him back. I think they call this a work in progress. Well he's certainly a practice. That's why the trainers thought he was a wonderful dog - excellent on lead, excellent to go down when told, sit, no snatching of his treats, completely indifferent to other dogs in his class etc.. almost like he knows how to behave in front of them.

Sandy

He sounds lovely; pictures please

My dog is a rescue too, and came to me with certain issues. I know how hard it is to overcome some of the things you describe.

My dog is also the same as yours around rabbits, squirrels, etc. The second he sees one, he freezes, then leaps forward and chases. At the park he actively looks for them in the wooded areas, which is why he's always on a Flexi when we go that part. I only let him off lead in certain parks/fields and NEVER in woods!

Meanwhile, like you, I try to improve his recall, but it is a challenge, shall we say...

Your boy is very lucky to have you as his owner
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I would post a photo of him but just not sure how to!

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
He sounds lovely; pictures please

My dog is a rescue too, and came to me with certain issues. I know how hard it is to overcome some of the things you describe.

My dog is also the same as yours around rabbits, squirrels, etc. The second he sees one, he freezes, then leaps forward and chases. At the park he actively looks for them in the wooded areas, which is why he's always on a Flexi when we go that part. I only let him off lead in certain parks/fields and NEVER in woods!

Meanwhile, like you, I try to improve his recall, but it is a challenge, shall we say...

Your boy is very lucky to have you as his owner
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4