View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I wasn't offended. But if it were my dog(s) I'd prefer to keep them (or one of them) muzzled WHEN THEY WERE OFF LEAD TOGETHER than to have one of them suffering by getting chunks bitten out of it. (Or, even to risk being killed - it was you that said you thought they'd fight to the death wasn't it?)

So far you seem to be stonewalling all suggestions - I'm not sure what you 'want' to hear?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I know we're talking about bitches here but even with dogs 5 and 6 years of age seems a strange time for this kind of behaviour to suddendly begin out of the blue.

Has anything changed of late in terms of their homelife ?

Also - have you considered whether one of them may have any kind of discomfort or problem that might be resulting in a short temper ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 03:21 PM
With 2 bitches?
Rehome one.
Before one kills the other.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by 087sammie View Post
muzzle them forever thats no life for a dog.Its just myself that got my hands caught in her teeth nails will grow back.
Muzzled whenever there's a situation where the dog might attack is better than the dog being able to take chunks out of other dogs and people imo. My last dog had to be muzzled whenever out in public, the muzzle didn't bother him in the slightest once it was introduced properly.

However, this is going to take a lot more management than simply muzzling the dogs, a muzzle will NOT prevent damage being done. You need to do everything you can to stop the situation occurring in the first place. If they fight when off leash together then don't let them off leash together. What are they like if they're both on leash? Or loose but separated by a fence?

People here won't lie to you. Bitches will fight to the death and once they've fallen out there is often no going back and then the options are rehome one or commit to keeping them separate at all times for the rest of their lives.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Is there really NO help with dog behaviour in Ireland or Northern Ireland?
Yes, there is. Or there was when I lived there anyway. I can't recommend anyone though as we couldn't use any of them.
087sammie
New Member!
Male 

21-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Sorry girl you probbally right I dont know what I want to hear someone to wave a magic wand and make everything ok.As of changes to the household my house is getting reposessed a lot of stress.Is our stress reflecting on them.I cant afford a dog trainer its the truth.Ill be back tomorrow and go through the answers properly hope ye check back must go to work to earn 20 euro. Dont get me wrong the dogs kids and wife get fed before i eat.Hope to hear from ye tomorrow and truthfully thanks a million for getting back to me ye actually are better than any friend I have
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Sorry girl you probbally right I dont know what I want to hear someone to wave a magic wand and make everything ok.As of changes to the household my house is getting reposessed a lot of stress.Is our stress reflecting on them.I cant afford a dog trainer its the truth.Ill be back tomorrow and go through the answers properly hope ye check back must go to work to earn 20 euro. Dont get me wrong the dogs kids and wife get fed before i eat.Hope to hear from ye tomorrow and truthfully thanks a million for getting back to me ye actually are better than any friend I have
Having had two bitches who would have fought to the death, I wholeheartedly sympathise. I had mother and daughter and they were less than 40 pounds each in weight. They were okay 95% of the time, but the other 5 consisted of them scrapping over nothing and me having to grab each by the scruff and rip them apart before they shredded each other good and proper. I managed with them, but only because I had to and I would never, ever have two bitches together again. Even my friend their breeder said to me when she first let me have the mum and I rescued the daughter that I'd never manage with the two of them. She actually stopped breeding that bloodline partially due to their temperaments being a little too much on the 'game' side and she was amazed that I managed for the 7 years until sadly one passed away.

To be honest, had they been a husky and st bernard, no way would I have been able to seperate them. And with them constantly getting into scraps rather than it being the minority of the time, I would have been forced to rehome one for the dog's wellbeing as well as my own sanity. Saying that is so easy, but I know how incredibly hard that decision would be for you, especially with things not going well in other ways right now.

Stress may be a contributing factor. with things being a bit out of whack with their humans and the cat chasing episide, the husky may see all that as a good opportunity to try and have a pop at what she sees as her main competition. It's just tipped the balance. Bitches are horrible when they decide to fight as they mean it so much more than two males.

To be brutally honest, I'd keep them apart for now and look into rehoming one of them. Should the st bernard lose her rag at being attacked by the husky, there's only going to be one winner. Your vet fees for dog bite wounds are going to cost you more than a good behaviourist will if things carry on as they are. And internet advice is no substitue for a professional seeing what is going on first hand.

Muzzling them around each other for the forseeable future isn't going to cure the root cause and it only takes one unlocked door for a full scale fight. Even with muzzles on they can hurt each other. My aforementioned friend used to breed akitas and she had two girls that didn't get on - they went as far as dismantling a kennel to get at each other while she was out and she came home to a bloodbath and a dead dog in one of her runs. Please do not let the girls 'play' together as there will inevitably be a fight.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 05:32 PM
........ I have a samoyed and a bernard. Bernard 5 and samoyed 6.They had a fight three weeks ago and we broke it up.
ITs the husky and bernard that is fighting.

Sorry, am confused as to which dogs are fighting.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
With 2 bitches?
Rehome one.
Before one kills the other.
Have to agree with the above.... We are talking bitches here,
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-04-2012, 07:44 PM
been in this situation more than once.there is no real cure,especialy when the fight often and out of the blue.all iv ever beed able to do was seperate or rehome.lots to concider for myself.i seperated 2 for 3 years it was taxing and it did come down to a rehome.both dogs were no longer streesed and it was in there best interest.very tuff desision,the dog that went was the instigater,so to speek.he now lives in a great home ,and also live with 2 other dogs ,they all get along.for me there was a saticfaction of knowing that i did good for the dogs,it just was not something i expected.i train dogs for a hobby and did seek out pro help..not much worked,and there never was a point were i could trust the dogs together,thats not fair,constant supervision.some dogs ,as iv found out may never get along,and some you can never trust agian,after all everyone could do.if you rehome,please be carefull.and one promise i can make is that you will feel like crap,a failure and down right sad. so,i feel that if you exaust all avenues first,then consider rehome.its simply a part of dog ownership,that we never want.i truely hope it all works out the best...for the dogs
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »