Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Isn't it about time ...?

I have been working in Behaviour & Training for over 20 years now.
I would describe my approach/techniques as PR towards both dog and owner.
I choose not to apply standard punishment/aversive/complusive techniques ... I prefer my techniques - they work well imho.

Now I am well aware that there are many differing techniques - some I applaud, some I dislike and a minority I would consider deeply unkind.

However, I am increasingly disappointed and ashamed at the hostility and lack of respect towards fellow professionals that there is in this line of work .......

Why is our profession so adversarial? What has happened to professional respect & discretion ... we all Know how some owners can misinterpret advice, be selective in what they hear & apply ... why are WE (used as collective WE) so ready to slam anothers work without knowing more?

I am asking the question .. how can we be effective Professionals with our clients when so many are prepared to insult, be hyper-critical and rude to other trainers//behaviourists?

Isn't it about time WE came together as a respectful profession to support / teach & learn from each other ... maybe, just maybe it might help owners hugely if they were dealing with a Community who were generous in attitude and manner and more open hearted in their approach to canine work ....
Why is our Profession so hell bent on attackimg each other?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Rude people can become behaviourists/trainers the same as polite people, you'll meet rude people in every profession. I think it's impossible to expect everyone to get along, all you can do is ignore the rude people and continue to be polite and friendly - clients will soon begin to respect the fact that you don't get involved.
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree with what you say, of course we can't all get on .. and ther are always rude people in life .. but that's not really my point ... it seems to me that there is a willingness/ desire to actively denegrate others to owners ... I have worked with two clients this week who have a had other "professionals" in prior to myself ... without exception the other trainers/behaviourists spent a lot of the time slagging off the previous techniques/ people .. leaving owners feeling not only disheartened by the dogs lack of progess but also feeling failures because they had not chosen a decent trainer ...

this seems pointless .. for sure, I needed to know what had been tried/applied before ... but that is all .. so why heap more negativity on a troubled situation ... it can be explained why something hasn't worked without going down the route of tearing someone else apart ... surely this does not help anyone .... it feels more like one-upmanship .. maybe I am too much of a romantic ... I think this aspect damages all of us?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Since being on dog forums, I have become only too aware of the hostility between Dog trainers/Behaviorists, and its doesnt seem to be Agility vs Gun dog training either.

The majority of dog trainers I have stumbled across have been polite, courteous and friendly toward each other, even if not agreeing on methods. Yet there seems to be a very small pool of nastiness...why I dont know.

Very sad
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Slagging off anothers methods to a client is really NOT on. Sure some methods may not work for all (I have my own way of teaching heel, but probs wont work for others) does that give others the right to slate it, or me to a client? NO!

I think (sadly) the dog training world has become saturated with wannabes and people who have watched too many TV shows, and feel that the way to succeed in the industry is to bitch the other person out (JMHO)

You re right, it does damage everyone. All trainers/behavourists will be viewed in the same light, and who will suffer? The dogs!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Yet there seems to be a very small pool of nastiness...why I dont know.
I think this is just human nature though. I worked in retail and you get the bitchy people and the genuinely nice people. Now I'm in accounts, again, I get some people bitching to me about others, and those that don't get involved. I don't think you can force people to change but you can lead by example and hope they decide to change their attitude - even if they don't, at least you know you're not dragging yourself down to their level and people will eventually notice your professionalism. I certainly have been put off recommending companies because they've made snide comments insulting their competitors - maybe there's a story behind it but as a customer all I want to know I'm getting good service from them, not that I'd be getting bad service elsewhere.
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually I think the Owners can sometimes suffer as much as the dogs do!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think this is just human nature though. I worked in retail and you get the bitchy people and the genuinely nice people. Now I'm in accounts, again, I get some people bitching to me about others, and those that don't get involved. I don't think you can force people to change but you can lead by example and hope they decide to change their attitude - even if they don't, at least you know you're not dragging yourself down to their level and people will eventually notice your professionalism. I certainly have been put off recommending companies because they've made snide comments insulting their competitors - maybe there's a story behind it but as a customer all I want to know I'm getting good service from them, not that I'd be getting bad service elsewhere.
That I will agree with..im meant to be returning to work next month (Tesco) and from the moment I walked in I was reminded of the sheer rudeness of customers (2manydogs I need saving!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by 2manydogs View Post
I agree with what you say, of course we can't all get on .. and ther are always rude people in life .. but that's not really my point ... it seems to me that there is a willingness/ desire to actively denegrate others to owners ... I have worked with two clients this week who have a had other "professionals" in prior to myself ... without exception the other trainers/behaviourists spent a lot of the time slagging off the previous techniques/ people .. leaving owners feeling not only disheartened by the dogs lack of progess but also feeling failures because they had not chosen a decent trainer ...

this seems pointless .. for sure, I needed to know what had been tried/applied before ... but that is all .. so why heap more negativity on a troubled situation ... it can be explained why something hasn't worked without going down the route of tearing someone else apart ... surely this does not help anyone .... it feels more like one-upmanship .. maybe I am too much of a romantic ... I think this aspect damages all of us?
I think it's the case in most walks of life tbh don't you? I've slated off many a hairdresser in my time to a good, new one I found, we slate restaurants that we've been to and haven't enjoyed the meal, bad hotels, blah, blah, blah, it's only human nature.

The only reason it happens with your trade is, because you are not classed as "professionals" like say, a doctor, a vet, a solicitor, these are classed as "professionals" so they are not allowed to slate others in their profession, and you wouldn't dare to mention just "who" you are talking about when you talk about that "other crowd" you've been to!

I remember talking to my blacksmith about what another blacksmith had done to my poor horse's feet when he left me with all this blood to clean up, and the blacksmith just smiled wryly (sp?) and didn't comment, because he was one of those professions that we class as professional trade, why I don't know, but we just do, we being joe public!

I'm afraid if I had an encounter with one of those bad trainers, which I have, I feel I have every right to pass it on to somebody else which I did, my breeder!

Afterall, a bad word travels fast....... We need to protect the public from the bad ones in all trades and professions I think? Maybe I'm wrong
2manydogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think it is the same - Owners have a right to say what they chose .. I'm just referring to "the professionals" slagging each other off.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >