Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1tex
New Member!
Male 

14-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Training older dog

i have heard that you can not teach an old dog new tricks. once the dog is health can you give your old dog obedience train. (ages 9+)
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by 1tex View Post
i have heard that you can not teach an old dog new tricks. once the dog is health can you give your old dog obedience train. (ages 9+)
Load of lies. Just as capable majority of the time. I started training my rescue at 11 years old. She only knew how to sit prior to me. She now is 15 and trains in advanced obedience and agility. She knows 20+ tricks.

x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 06:25 PM
..of course its best to start as soon as you can...but training can be started and be successful at any time
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh yes, you can teach an older dog. Just find out what they really like (treats or play) and use as a reward. The only difference is that you need to be careful not to over-work them.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Yes you absolutely can! I have a friend who got an 8 year old Great Dane and trained her to do Rally.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh yes you can.

It may be a bit more difficult than teaching a puppy......... o.k., it is more difficult than teaching a puppy, but it's immensly rewarding
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 07:17 PM
You can teach older dogs new things - however - abit like mature students, the concentration and retention skills are often quite minimal and the dog has to be 'taught' how to focus and retain the information.

Once they have got over the initial difficulty, they are often a joy to teach
decca234uk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Like most old sayings it's rubbish to say a dog is too old to train. Training is a life long committment, we all continue to give our dogs positive reinforement throughout their lives and I believe you can teach an old dog new tricks.
It's rubbish to think if you haven't learned something by a certain age you can never learn it.

What a limiting belief. Any healthy dog is capable of being trained at any age.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I started training in heelwork to music with Parker when he was 8 years old. No problem whatsoever and he picked things up very quickly. Does help that he's extremely motivated with anything that involves treats though!