View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2004, 08:13 PM

Retrain home alone and to stop barking in apt! UPDATE!!

Hi all

I have as you know a choc lab named Luna

We have just moved about a month ago, and at the same time Luna suffered from a combination of false pregnancy and nervousness about moving (the last is a theori of mine)

The false pregnancy is passed and Luna acts like a 6 months old puppy really funny to look at

But now I need help with getting her comfy and safe in her new home. She's destroyed my sofa, eaten candles and other thing. Now she only roams (sp?) the hall - shaped like an L. She chewed the wall the other day. I put lemon juice on it. No more chewing.

I've read an article about reteaching her, but in that time we train, I'm not supposed to leave her alone (unless part of exercise) so have to wait for my vacation in 3 weeks time. Do anyone have any ideas? I think she could be bored, and would like to get some tips to activate her mentally. And when should I do this? In the morning before leaving for work, in the afternoon when I come home, or on the night walk?

Next problem:
We used to live on the top floor and has now moved 2 floors down. There is now so many sounds she hasn't heard before - barking dogs, people on the stairs, people walking past the windows and so on.

This makes her bark, which is no good. Do you have any advice to teach her to stop barking unless told a command to do this?

Well I think I'm done for now. Hope someone can help

Jeanette
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi J

Here are my opinions... Regarding her getting board and causing mischeif at home... a Kong? Which I believe you have already tried, however make it 'harder' i.e. stuff it with food thats harder to get out (do a search for in dogweb for 'kong recipes'). If that doesnt work then try crating her until she is out of this phase.

Re the noise I think she will just get used to them when she knows they dont pose a threat, but thas my guess!

Goodluck!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Azz

Have thought about crating her, but I think she's too long alone home to be crated. It would be okay the days, where Kamille can pick her up, but those days she can't Luna will be sitting in a crate way to long.

Don't dare to write it here, as I'm afraid off being told off

She has a kong XL everyday, that seems to help though

Yeah I hope she'll calm down and get used to the noises, just hope my neighbours don't get mad at me before that

Ta Azz
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2004, 10:18 PM
oh I forgot the other thing that people do is use MORE than one Kong, depending on how long she will be left for, I'd say about 3?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2004, 01:39 AM
An old & true syaing is "A tired dog is a good dog". Can you give her some vigorous exercise before you leave? Bearing in mind that dogs should not be exercised within an hour each side of their meals.

Can you find out from the neighbours just when the barking occurs. Is it just for a while after you have left, only when she hear something, or is it that continuous, monotonous barking that signals stress/anxiety?

If it happens only for a while when you leave the exercise suggestion might work. If she is barking at noises try leaving the radio on. If it is stress/anxiety the radio might also help there, and you could also try a DAP diffuser. I came across this site which suggests that Melatonin can help to ease seperation anxiety http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-.../melatonin.htm

Multiple Knongs are a good idea. Also close the curtains if she can see people passing by.

Let you neighbours know that you are aware of the problem and explain that you are working to resolve it.

Good luck with the retraining. I am sure you will be successful.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Good luck Jeannette. I'm sure she'll settle in soon I agree though the crate is not good for too long. What about a puppy gate and confining her to a certain room, maybe the kitchen?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Hi All.

Azz: I'll go buy another kong then Right now she has a xl and a large.

SB: I don't know if she barks when home alone, I'l try to find that out, but my neighbours are not home these days. She doesn't make a sound when I leave, have tried standing by the door or sneak back. She just goes to her kong and that's it.

I just noticed she barks a lot when I'm home. So have to see if I can find a radio cause it is when she hears noises from the outside - dogs barking, people talking etc. She's "confined" to a hall (without windows) and a bathroom with a tiny window.

Its shaped as a L with the bathroom lying in the end of the horizontal bit. There's a babygate in the doorway to the livingroom.

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtop...amp;highlight=
In the link above you will be able to see a pic of my new appartment (2. picture). Luna has the area that says: entre (hall) bad (bathroom) the door to the bedroom (soveværelse) is closed and the babygate is in doorway to the big room, which is combined kitchen and livingroom.

I can exercise her before I leave, just get up earlier. But what kind of exercise do you mean? physical or brainwise?

Thanks for all the input. I knew I could rely on you guys to help

Jeanette
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

25-07-2004, 09:43 AM
I think that if she is barking only when you are there it should be quite easy to train her out of it. There are many sites on the internet offering advise on problem barking, e.g. http://www.wagntrain.com/barking.htm

Regarding exercise - a good gallop around would be excellent, but if you do not have the facilities for this a long walk or an indoor game such as 'fetch' or 'find' would help tire body & brain.
Meg
Supervisor

25-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi Jeanette It is a worry isn't it having to leave them alone, I seldom leave Amy, I am allowed to take her to work thank goodness. That is why I only have one dog at this time not dozens When I first had her my job was different and I had to leave her, but only for a couple of hours twice a week, my neighbour told me when I went she used to rush out of the dog door and sit in the garden and cry As Shadow says 'a tired dog is a good dog'. I then started a routine of getting her tired so she had a meal, longwalk and games like 'hide and seek' made her sit and stay then hid and called her to find me, also 'get socks' hiding her socks in the sitting room and letting her find them, by the end we were both tired but happy . Then off out leaving the radio on, toys and a 'smell of me' jumper..no goodbyes just go quietly so my going was no big thing. The neighbour said she was ok after that I guess Luna is still feeling unsettled by the changes,dogs like children love a routine. I am sure she will settle soon Jeanette
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi SB

I'm gonna go look at the site you gave me.

We have just been on our first bikeride today

It all depends on what road I take, but she can run loose on one. and be on leash another. Today it was mixed. We finished of with a good gallop! This might even get her started eating properly again

I can try that tomorrow morning and then give her the 2 kongs I have untill I get to buy one more

Minihaha:

Yes I wish I could take her with me too, but I can't I'm looking for a new job a bit closer to home, but untill I get that, we have to do with what we got.

I have a good feeling about this, and know it will be allright in the end. She's just 15 months old, so still a teenager

Thanx for all advices I'm so happy I found this site!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >