View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 09:19 AM
1cutedog that's great that you too are going to get some additional support with Lana. What business are you in (I'm so nosy I know! Be interesting to see what happens with Lana with him helping.

I keep thinking of when hubby went out for 20 mins when I was away for the day and Bessie was completely ok.
The problem is definately linked to me leaving her. I watched Vic. Stilwell the other day and she was dealing with a little spoilt dog who did exactly the same as Bessie does to me when trying to leave, nipping the trousers, wrapping paws around legs and making a fuss etc. She said it was just like a child begging it's mother not to leave it. She said the way to go was to break the leaving cycle and had the owner go to the door, return and sit down with a magazine, then go to the door with the magazine and sit on the floor reading it. The dog soon lost interest and she was able to go out without any fuss. So I may try that today, anything's worth trying in our quest to solve these problems!

Glad to hear Lana was ok as well with the fireworks - wish they would just ban the sale of them but that won't happen.

Don't worry at all about the long posts , I am always keen to read how we are all doing, even if we arn't making much progress. It somehow keeps me going knowing there are others going through the same problems.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Cardaph, how's the training going with Bessie. Is she any better when you are leaving? I sell lingerie and tshirts but business is dire. Has been since the credit crunch started and never really picked up. Thought it would be fine over Christmas but sadly there's no rush yet.

Bitkin, how's Jimmi. Are you doing training or have you decided just to leave him with either your daughter or friend when you go out and not bother trying again. Hope Jimmis feet are healed now.

I left Lana for 25 minutes yesterday and not a peep out of her. I had gone to the post office a couple of miles away but there was a big queue so didn't want to leave her outside for so long. My dad wasn't in so couldn't leave her there. There's a post office not far from me, so decided to chance leaving Lana at home and go there.

I'm actually feeling a bit more hopeful now. I won't be leaving her too often but it's good to know I can and she doesn't make a sound, (Unless of course the recording machine is broken)
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Blasted credit crunch - sorry that business is so slow 1cutedog, but you never know there could be a late rush when people decide "blow it", and set about spending money on prezzies. I hope so for your sake anyway.

That is such good news about Lana, and even though you don't leave her very often and not for too long at the moment at least there is a small light at the end of the tunnel as she seems to have accepted your brief absences.

At the moment we have put leaving Jimmi alone completely on hold. We thank our lucky stars that he is happy enough to be left with a dog sitter - be it daughter and family or a friend - although I do confess that sometimes I still feel very tied. This may seem like a terrible thing to say, but given that he is not a young dog, and may in fact be 10 or more, then we will have only a limited number of years with him............therefore is it worth stressing him, and ourselves. I think not, and thankfully husband is of the same opinion.

As to his paws, we have had no real problems for a few weeks now and I am not sure whether it is the fact that we are avoiding ALL pebbly or stoney paths and just sticking to grass, or if it is down to daily dunking in Hibiscrub. Maybe it is just that he hasn't eaten anything grim whilst out on his walks.........who knows, but I am grateful for the respite and he is so happy and jolly!
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I agree about the credit crunch my sales haven't picked up that much. I was hoping it would pick up for xmas also.

As to the training we seem to have lost the drive to do much at the moment. I am getting a session in of me leaving on my own each day and every time, the first time I go out she is nipping me and grabbing my bag to try and stop me. After 3 or 4 trips she settles on the carpet and just watches.
I will get hubby to video it tomorrow and send a link so you can both see what she's like.

Lana is well ahead of Bessie - 25 minutes is great - you've done wonders with her.

Bitkin I don't blame you for settling for Jimmi being the way he is for the time being, it certainly will save a lot of stress. Good that he isn't troubled with his paws just now also, lets hope it continues.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Bitkin, you're probably right about Jimmi, what's the point of stressing him at his age. If he's happy staying with the dogsitters then there's no need to leave him alone, although that means planning things and you and your husband not suddenly nipping out for something.

So glad his paws are better, hopefully the Hibiscrub is helping and he will have no more problems with them.

The credit crunch is a problem, so many people losing their jobs and so much unemployment. I really could do with getting a part time job to help but Lana is the problem of course, little booger that she is

Cardaph, sorry your sales aren't picking up either, no one has any money really, it's a dire situation. I can understand why you've lost the drive to do so much training, you appeared to spend your whole day going in and out your door. Maybe just doing what you are will help anyway. Surely one day she will be the same the first time you're going out as she is when it's the 3rd or 4th time. It's good though that your hubby is there and you can still go out.

I left Lana again yesterday for 20 minutes, my son was in although he was in the shower and she was fine, although I heard her whining when I got near the top of the stairs but she only started then and was quiet the rest of the time. She's still not sure of my son coming in, sometimes she doesn't bark, other times, usually about 2am she starts barking when he comes up to the door. I was desperate to go to the library today, came home from our walk and thought my son was out so didn't like to leave her. The lazy so and so was still in bed though so I could have been out. Never mind I'll get there next week.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Lol 1cutedog - that's sons for you

Well this dog it seems is just always making a liar of me. Today I suddenly decided we would walk around the block - takes just under 10 mins. Put the tape on expecting the worst as usual and she did bark and whine just after we went out. But then - total silence for the rest of it!
My first thought was the recorder wasn't working properly But I could hear the telly in the background.

I'm sure Lana will soon settle with your son, they just need a bit of time to adjust I think. Hope you get to go to the library soon
Wissansean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update on Milo. I have to chain him up outside to walk my kids to school and sometimes when I have to pick them up from school he s only outside for 30 - 45 min still cant leave him alone Last night I had to take my Son to a chorus thing and Hubby wa sleeping and the other kids were at sleep overs and so I left the house first and then a few min later had my Son leave and Milo was ok a little scratching at the door but lightly and I came home and the house was fine even though Hubby sleeping was in the other room normally Milo would have gone crazy even when all the kids r sleeping too and I leave he goes crazy but not last night. and then this morning my Son took Milo out to go potty and I am now chaining him up out back as well cause he is a neb nose and wont potty if he sees someone and I have to stand out there the entire time with him even if he doesnt have to potty but this morning he was out playing for 15 min before I realized he was still outside and wasnt scratching at the door to come in so I am thinking it is me i put him out and I go in he wants in Son put him out and he goes in Milo stays out hopefully he will be cured soon!
Page 44 of 44 « First < 34 41 42 43 44