View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Why do ppl resort to anti barking collars etc?

Just wondered why people resort to these spray collars etc?? I get that some dogs will need to go the extreme of these collars and do well with them, if positive training is not having affect. But do most people not want to put the time and effort trying positive training?? Is it because people are lazy? been advised to use them by other dog owners/trainers? or the dog doesnt react to anything but the collars?? Just asking out of interest.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 01:14 AM
i have to use a collar on one of mine or he barks as soon as he goes in the garden and then sets the other 6 off and the neighbours go mental. He also carries on until he gets back in.
Its not laziness its respect for the neighbours, we've spent hours trying to retrain him but he seems to think his job out side is to bark.
If I pick the collar up he quitens down and too be honest he seems to dislike the fact its round his kneck (mine dont wear collars at all) than the fact it sprays him with citronella.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:03 AM
I've used collars for a similar reason to Morganstar. Some dogs just seem to like to bark which sets off the others. In my case Wilson is very reactive to noise but the others aren't but as soon as he barks that's it they all join in!
Becky
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Just wondered why people resort to these spray collars etc?? I get that some dogs will need to go the extreme of these collars and do well with them, if positive training is not having affect. But do most people not want to put the time and effort trying positive training?? Is it because people are lazy? been advised to use them by other dog owners/trainers? or the dog doesnt react to anything but the collars?? Just asking out of interest.
Hey in Eastern Europe they cut the vocal chords of dogs, !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by kingbilly View Post
Hey in Eastern Europe they cut the vocal chords of dogs, !
They do in the states as well. One breeder told me she uses a mobile vet and they cut the dogs chords on the kitchen table
Have heard of a few in this country that have had it done as well
Becky
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
They do in the states as well. One breeder told me she uses a mobile vet and they cut the dogs chords on the kitchen table
Have heard of a few in this country that have had it done as well
Becky

Jesus!!! That's just cruel!!! I understand that some dog's do need the collars after trying endless training etc and I don't have a problem with that. It's when it's a 1st time owner being told just to use the collars without trying any other training before hand, because the trainer cant be a**ed with the dog's barking during training classes.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I think some maybe feel they don't have the time or inclination to find out more about "why" their dog is barking (in situations where the dog is anxious about being left, this raises welfare questions....)

Wys
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
It's when it's a 1st time owner being told just to use the collars without trying any other training before hand, because the trainer cant be a**ed with the dog's barking during training classes.
I agree seems people aren't prepared to try different methods first before resorting to a punishment one
Becky

ETA at one class I went to owners of dogs who barked had to get up everytime their dog barked and go and stand behind a door then when dog quiet come back in. That was hard work for the owner but the dogs soon got the idea!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I think some maybe feel they don't have the time or inclination to find out more about "why" their dog is barking (in situations where the dog is anxious about being left, this raises welfare questions....) or else feel that it won't harm their dog (to be fair in some cases it may not).

Many dogs learn to empty the canister thingie and just keep barking

Wys
x
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post

ETA at one class I went to owners of dogs who barked had to get up everytime their dog barked and go and stand behind a door then when dog quiet come back in. That was hard work for the owner but the dogs soon got the idea!
When I went to training classes I had to do this with Shadow he got over excited seeing everyone else and I was constantly taking him out the door! But he eventually learned and it stopped, he's always been a barker when someone's about - hears a dog outside, someone outside the door, postie and he only gives off a couple of barks - we live with this but when he goes on for a bit longer we tell him enough.
It was my friend who was told to use the anti barking collar on her boxer x bullmastiff, just because like Shadow he got excited to see everyone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >