Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Agression type issue

Whenever I let the dogs out at night, Tigger always must go first or he starts growling, barking and jumping on Montana. That's fine because Montana more than willingly lets Tigger go out first. Lately though, Tigger is not satisified with going out first, he now blocks Montana from getting out at all. He intentionally goes out first and stands in front of the door to stop Montana. When Montana tries to push past fast, Tigger goes bolistic, barking, growling, and sort of attacking although he doesn't bite, just uses his body. It's really loud and it's occuring late at night probably waking the whole neighborhood up. He sounds like a pack of bloodhounds. He doesn't even use his regular bark.

Short of letting them out at separate times, what can I do to stop this? Last night I tried holding Tigger's collar, but he darn near broke my leg trying to catch Montana coming out. I hate to let them out separately for several reasons. 1. it's late at night and I don't want to play doorman into the wee hours of morning, 2. sometimes possums and raccoons come in the yard and in case one is accosted, I'd like both dogs there to stick up for the other, and 3. I feel that by letting them out separate it's allowing Tigger to get away with behaving like a savage instead of correcting and ending the problem.

Any advice? This only occurs at night for whatever reason. Has anyone experienced this?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Sorry who's Montana wasn't she called Savannah or is this a totally different dog? Or am I just going nuts?

Sorry that I can't help!!!!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

30-06-2004, 11:25 PM
If I remb correclty Montana is Barbaras husbands dog Jeanette

not sure about this one Babs but it look slike he his displaying alpha behaviour? Hopefully SB or one of our more experienced Dogwebbers can shed some light?
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Azz is correct about who Montana is Bellaluna. I don't mention him because he's mean to Tigger, the squirells and birds, so he's not on my favorites list

I've leashed him tonight to allow Montana to pass, and that worked. He stayed in a sit stay with little growling, whereas he hasn't lately in this issue. Tigger is usually very obedient so I'm not sure what this is about. I'd love to know the psychology behind it. Usually Montana is dragging Tigger around the yard by the scruff of his neck while on his side Tigger doesn't get mad either. Just this night thing...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2004, 06:34 AM
[quote=" he's mean to Tigger... Usually Montana is dragging Tigger around the yard by the scruff of his neck while on his side... Tigger doesn't get mad either.[/quote]

It does sound as though there could be a challenge by Tigger for top-dog spot going on, and Montana, by allowing him to exit first and to use blocking tactics, is accepting of this. Have you noticed anything else that could point to this? Sometimes the signs are very subtle and not easy to spot. Is Tigger of an age when this type of challenge might be expected? How old is Montana? Are they both entire?

If you feel that potential role-reversal is the case then it would be wise to reinforce Tigger's position - which you did to an extent by ensuring Tigger went out first and was put in a stay to allow Montana out. (the 'stay' will have reinforced your leadership position).The best solution of course, is to let them sort it out themselves and not interfere unless things get out of hand.

One theory as to why this happens at night is that the dusk/darkness is when many prey animals can be around and the best hunter, who is not necessarily the top-dog in other respects, leads the way on the hunt. Perhaps Tigger fancies himself as a great hunter
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi Barbara

Okay now that I've read it I do think I remember you mentioning him before. Sorry, my mind is slipping sometimes.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Well SB, I would say Tigger is the alpha. The dragging around by the scruff behavior is play. Tigger is already top dog and Montana readily accepts this. That's what is weird about this night time situation. Tigger a hunter, lol? He can only run fast in short spurts and he usually prevents Montana from catching animals. That's it!! Tigger is making sure Montana doesn't kill anything!! Interesting. Thanks for your answer SB it allowed me to come up with a possible reason

Montana is 4 and Tigger 3. Both are fixed.
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

03-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Barbara,

Ranking between dogs is a funny thing. This week I have had my friend down with her two rotties (Otto and Freya). Between the two of them Freya is definately the boss yet when it comes to boundary patrol, she won't bother and Otto is in charge. Similarly Grace doesn't bother when Otto is here but when she is on her own, she will bark away!

Otto had his hip score this week and while he was drowsy, Freya took over the perimeter patrol - very odd dogs!

With a pack of mixed breeds, the position often shifts to the situation, some dogs are more suited to a situation than others and the pack shifts to accommodate it.

Sometimes it's wise to let the dogs shift position, other times not - it much depends on the nature of your dogs. I've had scrapping bitches before (and they were a nightmare, neither would back down!) so we had to hammer home the heirarchy so to speak in terms of who ate first, who got out of doors first etc. if they did have a spat, we had to ignore Doris as the lower pack member however difficult it was (as you wanted to help her, poor girl) but it did work,

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings....I would work on teaching Tigger a back and stay command so you are seen to be controlling the situation as leader. ShadowBoxer has given excellent advice though and I can't improve on that
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2004, 06:25 AM
I have allowed Tigger the top spot because if Montana were to battle for it, it could get ugly. Thanks for your input, it was very interesting hearing about the rotation in your pack. After holding Tigger back on leash in a sit stay, he's lessened his aggression and I now have him going out without being held back. I hate to have to correct him on this because he is just making sure Montana is following my rules by not hunting the racoons and possums (I think). Montana is always on the hunt, and Tigger usually can't catch him to stop him, but he tries. I think he thought he was fulfilling my wishes. LOL. He is too heavy to be chest butting Montana though so I had to stop it The noise was also probably waking then neighbors