register for free

Dog News

Dog loses half her bodyweight in six months

A seriously obese dog whose owner fed her a diet of roast dinners, fish and chips and chocolate has succeeded in losing half her bodyweight. Cassie, a seven-year-old collie, weighed nine stone in March this year – three times the normal weight for her breed - when she was taken in at the Dogs Trust Kenilworth in Honiley.

Cassie was fed an appropriate dog food diet at the rehoming centre – by hand at first since she was too fat to stand at a bowl. She was put on an exercise regime in a bid to get her to shift the weight. Although initially she was only capable of walking ten steps, she was given five walks a day and exercised in the hydrotherapy pool and on a treadmill.

Cassie still suffers from arthritis and skin problems and her weight makes it difficult for her to go to the toilet. Now happily rehomed with a loving new family she still has some weight to lose. Her new owner, Sarah Dickinson says that Cassie enjoys playing and going for three gentle walks a day, adding, “it’s like she’s lived here all her life. She’s such an easy going dog.

Your comments and views:
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 02:18 PM
WOW - she was a stone lighter than my american bulldog. Glad she's managed to lose most of the weight and has been re-homed to a more suitable owner shall we say!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Wow hasn't she done well! I thought this was going to be a story about a Labrador! Collies are normally so slim and athletic somehow it seems worse to me when they get fat.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top