Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Surgery saves dog who ate Homer Simpson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8026310.stm

See link for story and xray pictures

A pet dog needed life-saving emergency surgery - after swallowing a plastic toy of cartoon character Homer Simpson.

Dalmatian collie crossbreed Dixie, from Aberdeen, ate a Kinder Egg Surprise chocolate with the toy inside.

It showed up on an X-ray and was removed by PDSA vets, who said Dixie could have died without surgery.

Owner Victoria Keir said: "Dixie loves chocolate so must have seen the Kinder egg and gulped it down. We would have never known had it not been for Homer."

She explained: "I didn't suspect anything at first until Dixie stopped eating and drinking.

Dixie with Homer Simpson
Dixie was later re-united with Homer after the surgery

"Normally she's full of energy but suddenly she just seemed to become very listless and depressed.

"I'm so pleased that Dixie has pulled through because losing her would have been like losing a member of our family."

She added: "I can see the funny side now but at the time it was extremely traumatic and I'm very grateful to the PDSA for saving her life."

PDSA veterinary surgeon Alison Hamel said: "Dixie was very ill when she was brought in. She had lost a lot of weight and was extremely dehydrated. We needed to discover quickly what was wrong to provide the right treatment in time.

"The X-rays confirmed there was a foreign body but it was a big surprise to discover a plastic egg shell with Homer Simpson inside.

"We see many objects that have been swallowed but this has to be one of the most unusual."

She added: "Dixie came through surgery without any complications but if it had been left any longer it could have proved fatal."
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I saw that in the newspaper - it's unbelievable what things a dog will find edible!!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Doh

We saw that on the 5:30 show.

We've been so lucky over the years with things being eaten and thankfully coming through.
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I saw that in the newspaper - it's unbelievable what things a dog will find edible!!!
You're telling me! Aged about 4 months old, we discovered our puppy Stan pretending he hadn't tried to eat a cactus.