Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 12:44 AM

Can Dogs smell cancer...

Ok - i did a search for this so hope i'm not repeating a thread...

Is anyone watching the programme about dogs smelling prostate cancer - it's fascinating.

They showed a woman who's dog kept licking her leg where she had a sore.

I have a vascular malformation and as a result get lymph ulcer type things on my leg, when one got infected, Takara licked it and sniffed at it - which probably didn't help - but wouldn't leave it alone... she can tell the difference between my legs too as one has slow blood flow and she's always smelling that one.

The program's great - hope you managed to watch it... I'm supposed to be at college tomorrow but it's fascinating
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 07:36 AM
I watched it the other day Lottie.
Was amazing wasn't it!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 09:59 AM
It was indeed Hevvur! Absolutely fantastic!

Actually - I have to confess, it persuaded me to buy a clicker! lol!

Those dogs deserve a medal - they're so clever but I can't imagine how bad it felt when Bliss got it wrong everytime at the final hurdle!

Dogs really are 'man's best friend'.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 10:53 PM
i didnt see it, but i think they can.
My mums dog was really intune with her, when she needed help he would bark until someone came and really looked out for her.
my bf's sister has 4 rats, one of them is really ill and my mums dog licks that one all the time but pays hardly any attention to the others

i did see a programme once where these alsations were sniffing for some disease... maybe it was the cancer thing?
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 11:20 AM
yes i belive they can smell cancer,i met a dog who warned its owner when she was about to have a fit,this gave her time to go and lie down somewere safe.
Lab~Husky
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I watched something about skin cancer on the telly a while back!!... they can tell because a part of your skin smells different to them!... they can also sence autism! and if you are about to have a stroke because you give off different odours!