Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mmclean
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Help Keeping Cool...

Hello from Scorching Hot Texas---
I am looking for some good ideas on how to keep my 4 mo. old pup cool in this intense heat.
He has a coolaroo cot (suppose to keep them cool) and
I keep a puppy pool full of cool-clean water available.
He is usually outside from 9 to 5 (the hours I'm at work).
I do not want to crate him in the house and he is not trustworthy enough to roam free yet.
Any Ideas?
Thanks so much!

Megan & Moose
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Any way to set up a fan in a shady spot? Or better yet give him limited access via a dog flap maybe to an air conditioned room?

Setting up a sprinkler on a timer to give an intermittent light spray to the yard will also help keep the temp down.

In the hot weather here I make sure my outdoor dog has access to the conservatory with the fans on.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2009, 07:27 PM
When I have to leave my puppy behind, I am always happy to know it is in the air conditioned house safely in its crate.

If you leave yours outside, I would make sure it is comfortable in the pool. Make it very easy to get in and out, a sloping ramp down into the water. A wet dog stands the heat very well.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I fill up some empty 5 litre containers with water and then stick them in the freezer. Once they are solid ice, I'll take one out and stand it in front of a fan. As the fan blows air past the frozen bottle, cool air blows onto your dog
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by mmclean View Post
Hello from Scorching Hot Texas---
I am looking for some good ideas on how to keep my 4 mo. old pup cool in this intense heat.
He has a coolaroo cot (suppose to keep them cool) and
I keep a puppy pool full of cool-clean water available.
He is usually outside from 9 to 5 (the hours I'm at work).
I do not want to crate him in the house and he is not trustworthy enough to roam free yet.
Any Ideas?
Thanks so much!

Megan & Moose
Your puppy is outside alone for 8 hours
mmclean
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the help... Yall are awesome!
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Ice cubes in the water, and I also put peanut butter in the freezer in the cube tray, that makes a nice cooling treat. One I havent tried myself, but a friend does, is to get an old towel, soak in cold water, then put in the freezer, it comes out all crispy, her very fluffy cross breed goes mad for it as soon as she opens the freezer, he rubs himself all over it!!!
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Personally I would be quite worried about leaving my dog home alone for 8 hours especially in hot weather, does he have access to a shady area?
mmclean
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I understand the concern of some regarding leaving my dog outside. However he has lots of shade, fresh cool water and even a baby pool to splash around in.
Unfortunately some of us have to work outside the home and do not have the opportunity to return home during the work day.
I really appreciate those who commented with helpful advice.
I don't appreciate the condescending attitudes of some. Obviously I care greatly about my pet otherwise I wouldn't be on here asking for help in this stressful situation.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm sorry you feel that the "one" comment was condescending. However, leavng a 4 month old pup alone, in the heat, for 8 hours straight, horrifies me.

If I could not get home to give my pup some relief, I wouldn't have got the pup in the first place.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >