Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
So you don't have the money for training...but do have the money for an ecollar.
Are you hoping for a cheaper quick fix I wonder.
Poor dog.
I have £140 for the e-collar and I believe I will get better results spending this on the e-collar - I'm not convinced that if I spend the same amount on other training methods that I will have such positive results. And yes, I believe it will be quicker too. I'd rather have him trained sooner than later.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I re-read through this thread last week and thought ....''God I am so glad that is not me'', as SO many people are opposed to e-collars (myself included)

Then you put this up...... now me I wouldn't of.... knowing how much it would of pained me with all the answers I got the first time round.

Obviously it didn't pain you...................but it sure will that poor dog.

Sorry I am in dis-belief
Quick-fix the problem...
I would rather be honest than get one and keep quiet about it. It seems to me that those who are dead against e-collars will always hold that opinion regardless. They seem to have either no experience at all of e-collars or have only seen them (or heard of them) used incorrectly.

I have no intention of hurting my dog with the e-collar.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
http://www.apbc.org.uk/resources/APB...nsultation.pdf

Check out form Page 7 on (not pleasant reading be warned) for several reasons why buying and using an ecollar would be a really bad idea.
None of the people described there used the collar correctly. They'd have been just as well off using a stick to beat their dogs as using the methods they used with the e-collar.

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
If there is one thing that p*sses me off more than anything its people who buy dogs with prey drive (or specific traits) and then try to train them out of it..It's part of who and what the dog is..its part of the breed...If you are that selfish that the breed traits don't fit with your fairytale lifestyle that you have to zap them to change them why the hell did you buy that type of dog.,.Oh I forgot..cos they look good!!!!
Refer to the thread 'Why NI?' and you will see the many reasons why I decided to get an NI. I do like the look of them of course, but their looks were one minor point amongst a plethora of reasons for my wanting one. I didn't get an NI 'cos they look good'.

There are many, many border collies who have problems with chasing livestock. Are you saying those that are trained to WORK with livestock are having their breed traits trained out of them?

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Me?? I bought my dogs knowing their traits and work with them rather than against them!!
You mean you think it's less cruel to keep my dog tied up for the rest of his life than to train him to exercise some self-control where his chasing is concerned. That's not 'working with them (breed traits)', that's merely keeping the problem tied up along with the dog.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 12:25 PM
what does training a dog cost? £140? no, only time & effort & abit of love a respect.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
I have £140 for the e-collar and I believe I will get better results spending this on the e-collar - I'm not convinced that if I spend the same amount on other training methods that I will have such positive results. And yes, I believe it will be quicker too. I'd rather have him trained sooner than later.
YOU asked for help and advice and when given it told us you didn't have the money to spend. You now have £140 to spend on a shock collar. You are willing to hurt your dog and fork out cash...but not willing to spend time and energy on training your dog, as Mishflynn says that costs nothing. My opinion of you has spiralled downwards I'm sorry to say. I genuinely believed you didn't actually want to hurt your dog and wanted to train positively. I appear to have been very worng. Shame that...not for me, for your dog.

I would rather be honest than get one and keep quiet about it. It seems to me that those who are dead against e-collars will always hold that opinion regardless. They seem to have either no experience at all of e-collars or have only seen them (or heard of them) used incorrectly.
No, that's where you are wrong.Totally.

So how exactly do you think it works???? If it didn't hurt, it wouldn't work.

None of the people described there used the collar correctly. They'd have been just as well off using a stick to beat their dogs as using the methods they used with the e-collar.
Right....of course...nothing to do with the ecollar is it. Same old same old. If a dog is damaged it's been used badly. Oh please.Here's a story...a dog is walking in a shop and a box falls, almost landing on the dog and making a large noise,what does the dog become fearful of? A deep rooted fear, that can't, no matter how hard people try, be alleviated???? Box? Loud noise? Floor surface? Owner?
None of the above???
Answer.....the butcher's stall that was nearby. Dog could never walk past a butchers again...for it's lifetime, without being fearful.
My point??????
To install fear in a dog (which an ecollar does.) you have NO idea of what a dog will associate the fear with. So you stick an ecollar on your dog in a field of sheep and set it off...the dog could associate the pain/fear with anything in the vicinity...grass/rain/wind/sheep/handler/birds/snail/passing leaf/sound of child playing/aeroplane.
It isn't about the collar being used incorrectly, it's about the collar being used at all.

Refer to the thread 'Why NI?' and you will see the many reasons why I decided to get an NI. I do like the look of them of course, but their looks were one minor point amongst a plethora of reasons for my wanting one. I didn't get an NI 'cos they look good'.

There are many, many border collies who have problems with chasing livestock. Are you saying those that are trained to WORK with livestock are having their breed traits trained out of them?
No, they are having their breed traits fully used as they should be.

You mean you think it's less cruel to keep my dog tied up for the rest of his life than to train him to exercise some self-control where his chasing is concerned. That's not 'working with them (breed traits)', that's merely keeping the problem tied up along with the dog.
Your dog won't be tied up though if you take him somewhere appropriate to exercise him. Your dog won't be tied up if he is exercised on a longline.No tying up at all in fact.

I have no more to say except I pity your dog.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Hopefully people won't have the option to use a shock collar soon. Did i see that they have been banned in scotland already, or that the move is afoot to ban them? Hopefully England and Wales will follow suit shortly then there will not be the option to go for the quick fix and people may realise the severity of choosing to use these.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I believe they are going to be banned in Wales shortly, I am sure it will be just a matter of time before they are banned in all of the UK.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 01:54 PM
To install fear in a dog (which an ecollar does.) you have NO idea of what a dog will associate the fear with. So you stick an ecollar on your dog in a field of sheep and set it off...the dog could associate the pain/fear with anything in the vicinity...grass/rain/wind/sheep/handler/birds/snail/passing leaf/sound of child playing/aeroplane.
I was advised to use a rattle bottle with Jack, my little Lancashire heeler, now departed us for rainbow pastures. I rescued him from a terrible situation and he was full of problems. The shock and fear on his face the first time I used it made me want to cry! I threw the darn bottle away, bought a clicker instead and tried a different trainer. He never looked at a bottle of water the same way again. Hurt my heart that I had done that to him, I should have known better. In hindsight I was frustrated at how long it was taking him to understand my more gentle normal training methods and I fell for a quick fix.

I should add, I am not against rattle bottles per se. Rattle bottles are also a fear tool. Less painful and unfocused than the collar, they can be used to good effect in a confident dog, but if the problem stems from fear, more fear just doesn't help.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

After that, I never walked Selkie in that field or near sheep again. I drove 40 mins to the coast and walked her along the beach, or 30 mins to a sheep free mountain. I never let her off the lead anywhere I don't know well.

Point is I drove her elsewhere! I didn't try to train her out of her sheep love (only sheep, not cows, or ponys or even goats, she has been off the lead with chickens and doesn't give them a second look). I just changed where I walked her. There has to be somewhere livestock free near to you. You may need to drive her out to it, maybe off lead will have to be a weekend treat.

I have to agree with the e collar sceptics... There is always another way.
Great post, well said
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Cruel owner alert here........My dog only gets let off lead once a week! shock horror!
6 days a week she walks on a long/retractable lead in the park, and on a Sunday we drive nearly an hour to the beach where she can free run, and there is no chance of her chasing anything, or meeting another dog.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
It seems to me that those who are dead against e-collars will always hold that opinion regardless.
Probably However, that may be because they've done their homework.
They seem to have either no experience at all of e-collars or have only seen them (or heard of them) used incorrectly.
Can I ask who is going to be training you?
Are you at a dog training school, or are you going private?
To my knowledge, there's 2 ways of training dogs to not chase sheep with an ecollar. One uses high levels. They do have to be high to be very aversive or the method may not work. So here, you are talking pain and yelping and crying from the dog. That is not being emotional - it will happen.

The second method does not use high levels. However, I'm not convinced of it and would never trust a loved dog to it - a dog's working level will be changing, so it may be that the dog is hurt at some stage even if accidentally, and also that dogs can power through ecollars. The dog may become desensitised and the dog's drive may over ride the training.
This is how many pet dog owners use ecollars. There is no actual "correct" way historically to use them, which is why many gundog owners use them on high, others may use them on lower levels...neither is wrong, in that sense.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Whatever makes you feel good Sally!!!

So you WANT to walk your dog thru a sheep field..so you go and buy a dog with prey drive?? Not a good move!

No I am not saying anything about BC's, BUT since you brought it up..It is in their breed to herd..so the people training them to do their job is working with their breed traits

No..I think its cruel to keep a dog tied up also..My dogs aren't tied up!! They are lead walked and worked on a scooter or a rig and off lead exercised in an enclosed area..
I work along with their traits by AVOIDING putting them in the situation where they can cause problems (such as sheep fields resulting in them being shot!)

If it were a choice between having my dog tied up or having my dog shot then I would be asking..show me where to tie them?

I think its you who needs to exercise the self control not the dog..the dog is being who he is..

I do not believe for one minute that you have no where else to walk..so let the dog be the dog he is and get him in the car and walk him elsewhere.....

Honestly!!! people buy these dogs and think..Oh mine will be different..yeah lets all break our dogs spirits by zapping them every time they do something *I* don't want him to do..the poor dog will be so miserable he won't want to do anything!
Page 11 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 >