View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Help! When is the time to let them off lead????

Hey guys,

Is there ever a right time to let them off?

Barney my lakeland trouble! oh no i mean terrier (honest), has been with us for 3 months now since we rescued him and is almost 3 yrs old.
He has settled in really well and has started to form a solid bond with both myself and the hobbit. We passed the Bronze Kennel Club’s “Good Citizen Dog Scheme” at the weekend, oh i'm soooooo proud of him. His recall is super in training class inside and out(enclosed yard) and around the house/garden - but outside i'm not sure?

Will i ever know if it's the right time?
Met several people with terriers who say never there instincts are to go off and others who say you'll never know unless you try!

Currently he is on a 10ft long line when were in the countryside or woods and sometimes can be recalled but knows he dosen't really need to listen due to the lead being on.

Anyone with any help is welcomed.

cheers Alanna

Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by lakeland_lass View Post
Hey guys,

Is there ever a right time to let them off?

Barney my lakeland trouble! oh no i mean terrier (honest), has been with us for 3 months now since we rescued him and is almost 3 yrs old.
He has settled in really well and has started to form a solid bond with both myself and the hobbit. We passed the Bronze Kennel Club’s “Good Citizen Dog Scheme” at the weekend, oh i'm soooooo proud of him. His recall is super in training class inside and out(enclosed yard) and around the house/garden - but outside i'm not sure?

Will i ever know if it's the right time?
Met several people with terriers who say never there instincts are to go off and others who say you'll never know unless you try!

Currently he is on a 10ft long line when were in the countryside or woods and sometimes can be recalled but knows he dosen't really need to listen due to the lead being on.

Anyone with any help is welcomed.

cheers Alanna

To be honest you will never know until you try it, and some people may not agree with me, but i always let fosters off from day one in an area where i know they can't get to any roads, or get into any bother, just so i know what i'm working with.

If it was me i'd take him somewhere like the above or i also find the beach quiet good especially if there are cliffs behind it and give it a whirl.

When you first let him off he's going to be having a ball so give him 5 minutes before you start calling him in
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:34 PM
i let my jrt pup off the lead yesterday. she is nearly 15 weeks old and has been going out for walks for 1 week. i did it in a safe area and was so impressed with her.

i do think having my collie there was a big help as she just tended to follow him. she did meet some dogs and when she tried to follow them i called, and she came back!

i agree with lizzy23, you need to get an idea of what you're dealing with here. with all the work you have been doing, you may have no problems at all! lots of treats and a favourite toy too. also call him to you and make lots of fuss then let him go again. i think it's really important that they know you aren't going to put them back on their lead every time they come to you.

good luck!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Do you have any friends with dogs that you can walk with? having some buddies to run around with will keep him closer. You can also arm yourself with something he loves (my little terrier ALWAYS comes bolting back to for her squeaky toy) and recall him sporadically for his reward.

Just make sure you are in a quiet area well away from any roads and give it a go. I bet you are worried over nothing.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Until you know for a fact and are a 100% certain they will recall on command ... never.

better safe than sorry
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I always manage to get mine off lead from day one, even adult rescues. The key is to be the most interesting and exciting thing around, initially that may/ probably will involve treats, cooked chicken and liver cake are good and be generous. At the same time practice chopping and changing direction with him on a long line, don't tell him what your doing, when he follows you just turn around and go back or go off at a right angle. As soon as he catches up change direction again. Change pace from walking to suddenly breaking into a run or jog, keep him on his toes, he'll soon start to focus on you. Also if walking in the woods disappear behind bushes and trees and let him wonder what happened there then and come looking. OK so you'll look like a bit of a nutter but the dog will love it, once he's completely focused and you feel happy with him sticking with you and coming when called, drop the lead and practice, if he decides to make a run for it you'll be able to stamp on the end of the lead to stop him. Try doing it with two of you if you don't feel confident to do it alone. Ultimately you will only know how good he is by biting the bullet and letting go of the lead. Once he's got the idea don't get complacent just build it into your walks to keep him up to speed.
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. It's a really tought one for me. I want him to be free but also safe.

"At the same time practice chopping and changing direction with him on a long line, don't tell him what your doing, when he follows you just turn around and go back or go off at a right angle"

Think i'll try switching directions on the long line for a week or so ensure i have his attention.

"Do you have any friends with dogs that you can walk with? having some buddies to run around with will keep him closer"

Yeah we have super doggie pals and was thinking of trying off lead with them around for the first time there both girls and barney really likes the girls!

"Until you know for a fact and are a 100% certain they will recall on command ... never"

Mese how how would i know 100% like i said he is really good in farmiliar surrounds like the house or garden.

Thanks again for all your advice
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by lakeland_lass View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It's a really tought one for me. I want him to be free but also safe.

"At the same time practice chopping and changing direction with him on a long line, don't tell him what your doing, when he follows you just turn around and go back or go off at a right angle"

Think i'll try switching directions on the long line for a week or so ensure i have his attention.

"Do you have any friends with dogs that you can walk with? having some buddies to run around with will keep him closer"

Yeah we have super doggie pals and was thinking of trying off lead with them around for the first time there both girls and barney really likes the girls!

"Until you know for a fact and are a 100% certain they will recall on command ... never"

Mese how how would i know 100% like i said he is really good in farmiliar surrounds like the house or garden.

Thanks again for all your advice
100% recall doesn't exist. We can never predict our dogs 100% of the time. You can certainly have an excellent recall, but no one can tell me that every dog that is ever let off lead has a perfect recall. If that were the case then very few dogs would ever be let off lead. If you have a good recall, know that your dog is controllable and you are in a safe area away from any dangers, you are good to go.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
just make sure you do it when you have the time to go catch them

millies almost 3 and still dosent come back off her lead... she has a 26 foot extendable lead...and a lunge line lol

as long as your in a safe envorinment you should be ok
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Try him in a tennis court or basketball court first. Perhaps take a friend with another dog to act as potential distractions. If that goes ok try to find a secure stock field (with no stock in it) but go armed with masses of his favourite treats/toys making sure he is hungry and due his dinner when you get back.

I have never kept any of my pups, rescues or fosters on the lead from day 1. Sure if I encountered a problem I would be prepared to keep them on the lead, but I've never felt the need.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >