Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Tummy upset

Tom had no interest in his breakfast this morning , bit of coaxing but no , he has been for a short walk did his business , no squits but the noises from his gut tell me there is something going on that they dont like.

He is gurgling away , no food taken yet but not sure I should feed him anyway, Bella is fine and they both had the same to eat yesterday so its not something he has eaten and he didnt pick up anything strange on any of our weekend walks so I suppose just watchful waiting to see how he is , do you think thats the right approach ?

He does not appear to have a temp or be in any pain, nothing obvious when I have checked him over, I am not a vet or a vet nurse but take the approach I would take with human patients in systematically going through the symptoms , if anyone has any advice it would be most appreciated as always its a worry when they appear unwell.

Many Thanks

Maureen
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 02:12 PM
If he doesnt have the runs and isnt being sick then i would leave him be. He might be feeling 100% and forcing him to eat something will make it worse. Just make sure he is drinking and keep an eye
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Tarn had a very gurgly stomach the other day after eating a very manky, dead mole that had been hung on a fence, rotted and dropped off! No squits or anything and I just carried on as normal.

Ditto to making sure he is drinking though. They can go downhill very quickly if they get dehydrated.

Helen
DayCare4Paws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Ditto what has been said above. Maybe try giving him some chicken for his tea or supper? Something nice and bland but (assuming you don't always give him roast chicken every day) something different that might just get him to sample a bit.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I always keep some pro kolin in the cupboard which i buy online as its much cheaper than from the vet, as my 2 greys are suseptable to gurgly tummys and stopping eating for a day. I find a little of that at the first sign really helps. Mine never have the squits with it nor are they sick. However the next day they will usually do an orange colour loosish poo.
If I don't give the pro kolin then the next day they can be quite runny. I normally offer a very small amount of chicken and rice once they are looking for food again (sometimes that evening or the next morning) and then slowly over 48hrs get them back onto their own food as normal.
Mine want to eat grass when they get the gurgly tummy, but I have found letting them eat it makes them worse so I now stop them.
Some greyhound people have said they give milk of magnesia when their greys get like it and I have tried it, but pro kolin works the best.
Hope Tom feels better soon
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ladies , he is looking a bit sorry for himself and snuggled under his blanket but I will just keep an eye on him for now
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Prokolin all the way - quick squirt, starve for a few hours and then some coley and ours are right as rain!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I always keep some pro kolin in the cupboard which i buy online as its much cheaper than from the vet, as my 2 greys are suseptable to gurgly tummys and stopping eating for a day. I find a little of that at the first sign really helps. Mine never have the squits with it nor are they sick. However the next day they will usually do an orange colour loosish poo.
If I don't give the pro kolin then the next day they can be quite runny. I normally offer a very small amount of chicken and rice once they are looking for food again (sometimes that evening or the next morning) and then slowly over 48hrs get them back onto their own food as normal.
Mine want to eat grass when they get the gurgly tummy, but I have found letting them eat it makes them worse so I now stop them.
Some greyhound people have said they give milk of magnesia when their greys get like it and I have tried it, but pro kolin works the best.
Hope Tom feels better soon
My Catahoula is the same, I definately don't encourage the grass eating as that makes them worse, and as per Madmare catching it at first sign is the key to stopping it getting worse.

Good luck and hope he is feeling better soon <<<huggers>>>