Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2012, 01:07 PM

Removal of dewlcaws

My friend told me yesterday that her mums dog had to have one of his dewclaws removed due to cathing it on a walk. She told me that he didn't have any local anethetic and they just literally pulled it out!!! Her mum said that she has never heard any animal scream like that!
Surely this is a form of torture? In medieval times they pulled out human fingernails are a form of torture.
Is this standard practice?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 01:52 PM
OMG I can't believe that is normal practice, but I'm not a vet!! Sounds absolutely barbaric to me and I certainly wouldn't let a vet do that to my dogs. The poor dog, and poor owner because she probably wasn't aware what was about to happen. Shouldn't think that poor dog will ever want to visit the vet again
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I dunno about dew claws but when Rupert had to have a nail removed due to injury he was sedated for it and given painkillers for the next few days.

Are you sure it was the whole dew claw they ripped out and not a piece that was hanging on? I would have thought ripping out a dew claw would require more than just getting hold of it and pulling. I'm certainly no expert though.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd like to pull their finger nails out for that !

I can just see then dewling with them !

Sorry - couldn't resist - carry on !
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I would not have thought that was standard practic at all. You are allowed to remove the dew claws as a breeder before the pups are 5 days old. After that it has to be a vet and it is a treatment that requires some level of pain killer.I would have thought just pulling them out just like that hurt a lot and it will likely grow back again.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
my friends wippet had a dew claw removed, she wasnt under ga but she was sedated and given a la.

i doubt any vet would just yank a dew claw out
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 05:20 PM

I can't believe I read that?

How AWFUL!

I assume she had no idea they were going to do something like that before they went ahead?

This is a very good reminder to ASK QUESTIONS about any procedure they are going to carry out before you have it done.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by amykf3 View Post
My friend told me yesterday that her mums dog had to have one of his dewclaws removed due to cathing it on a walk. She told me that he didn't have any local anethetic and they just literally pulled it out!!! Her mum said that she has never heard any animal scream like that!
Surely this is a form of torture? In medieval times they pulled out human fingernails are a form of torture.
Is this standard practice?
I don't believe this at all, if dewclaws are removed from a dog even before 5 days of age they are not "pulled"out, but cut out & cauterized if done as a young puppy or stitched if done by a vet later in life. They have to remove all of the nail(including the nailbed)otherwise the nail will simply regrow

My Rjj had his rear dew claws removed at 7 months(my vets don't operate except in emergencies under the age of 6 months), it was done under GA & they were amputated & the incision stitched closed
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Nonsense. Muffins nails been pulled out by my vet while I was there. Because of her age we didn't want to sedate her so she was put into a light sleep, the nail was only attached to a smaller area so they said it was easier and tidier o pull the remainder. It came out in one tug and muffin didn't make a noise. She was on pain relief.

They have to sedate a dog and surgically remove attached dew claws. This is the reason a number of vets will only remove dew claws if the dog has to be put under ga for another operation as it is not deemed worth the risk to put the dog under just for dew claws. Totts had hers removed when she was spayed
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Nonsense. Muffins nails been pulled out by my vet while I was there. Because of her age we didn't want to sedate her so she was put into a light sleep, the nail was only attached to a smaller area so they said it was easier and tidier o pull the remainder. It came out in one tug and muffin didn't make a noise. She was on pain relief. .................
These would be broken nails I presume ? One of my Beardies broke a nail & had it half hanging off, the vet simply used a local & cut the nail back-no screaming, etc he didn't "pull"the whole nail out
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >