Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
ooh exciting, my cousin has got a blue eyed Dally, Hector, very stunning looking, she will be your baby regardless of whether she has blue or brown eyes, and if you dont want her she can allways come and stay here in Coventry LOL.
Good luck with her hearing test, hope all goes well.
No i'm not clued up that much on showing as i dont personally show an interst in the showing world, but does blue eyes in a Dally mean it can't be shown
best wishes
Yes, if a dally is blue eyed it's seen as a fault and the dog can't be shown.

I would still want her, but I will have her for 15 years and wouldn't want to be thinking to myself 'I wish I'd have got one I could show' because I'd end up resenting myself for it.

But yes, if a dally has blue eyes, you can't show him/her. Likewise, if a dally is patched, lemon spotted or blue spotted, or if the spots group together too much.

lemon spotted and blue spotted are seen as lack of pigmentation rather than an actual variety of dalmatian and patch dalmatians can't be shown because their spots have merged too much and don't follow the regular spot pattern or sizing.
My sister wanted a patch as she thinks they're cute so now she hates me because we can't have one! lol
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
A slight correction on patches/spots......
A patch is not a spot, it is a genetic blip that causes a totally different hair type to form and it is present at birth, unlike a spot, and it tends to spread as the dog gets older. The texture is different as the hair tends to be silkier. Although a "serious cosmetic fault" it does not affect the dog in any way but a no-no for showing. Spots "too grouped together" is something different and although not ideal, does not stop you showing. It is a popular misconception that Dalmatians are judged on their spots, if you look at the breed standard you will see that it is relatively insignificant. There are some in the ring at the moment that are not good, spot wise, but obviousy everything else is good. The spots are the "icing on the cake" and would only come into play if (a) a dog that was equally good in every other respect was better decorated and (b) the judge had a particular "thing" about it - which does happen, eg Polo is ghost faced so he either does very well or not at all
Blue eyes however is a more serious fault as there is a close link to deafness since it is caused by the same genetic fault that prevents the inner ear from developing in the womb. I only produced one with a blue eye in 46 puppies and he was totally deaf.
Interestingly, you CAN show them in the USA.

Gill
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, you learn something new every day!

I did actually know about the patch thing - I remember being told that now. A breeder once told me markings were only worth 10% of overall in showing, but I don't know if this is true or whether it's just soemthing taken into consideration but not important. I know it's only as you said, the icing on the cake.'

However, I didn't know that the blue eyes were linked with deafness! So thanks for sharing that - that's why I started this thread, so I could show my knowledge (but my last post about patches was made very early in the morning and I was dropping to sleep!) and also to get more knowledge from others - so it worked!

Thanks!
Lottie
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 09:17 PM
You're welcome.... hope you don't mind unsolicited comments!

As far as the "score" for spots goes, the judge doesn't judge holding a card on which to give marks on each point but a good judge will look mostly at construction and movement, usually one follows from the other. I found in one class I was judging, each dog was equally "imperfect" but each for a different reason. I then had to decide which had the least serious faults and put them in order! more difficult than people think. However, a well-marked dog can distract a judge. For example, one of mine has quite a significant fault in construction but being beautifully spotted and "flashy", is doing far better than deserved IMHO. Spotting can give an optical illusion too, so two identically constructed dogs can look quite different.

Ooops I'm waffling, sorry! obviously nothing on TV tonight!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the info Gill.

I don't mind 'unsolicited' comments at all!' You're being helpful!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Lottie

Just saw what time you posted please tell me you got some sleep last night that's dedication!

Pups on your mind? Can totally relate
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Hope you got some sleep last night!

Hearing test today! Good luck, fingers crossed for you!

Gill
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks Gill,

Just realised I haven't written on this for a while!

Her hearing test came back completely normal! All 12 pups can hear in both ears which is great! I was so relieved.

So now I just have to wait til Sunday when she arrives! Her nose is filling out in colour, and her eyes are very slowly turning darker!

She's sooo big!

Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 07:02 PM
3 more sleeps to go!!!
I cant wait to see more pics of her, she is adorable and i love her colour, sunday wont beable to come quick enough
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Just realised this has been the worst kept diary ever!

Now it's far too late - Takara's only just settled down at midnight and I need my bed, so I'll update it another time, but keep a look out!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >