Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Will the handlers talk to me?

Ive always been interested in dog showing. After my taste of a companion dog show yesterday I have become interested in real showing (and it is just an interest at this stage if I get another dog it wont be until K'Ehleyr is older and until I know more). I will continue to take K to comapnion dog shows though. I have read all about starting up on the KC website (finding a puppy, ring craft, tarining, joining a breed club etc). I am wanting to go and speak to some handlers at a show I was just wondering will they talk to me or will they be too busy? Is there anywhere else I could get advice?
Thanks for reading xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I find people very happy to chat and give advice at shows, but do make sure they aren't just about to go into the ring first.

I would watch the classes getting judged and after that don't feel afraid to approach people. Just ask if it's convenient to talk and have a chat if they are free. Most people are only too happy to 'talk dog'

Your local ringcraft class will help you enormously - and if it's like ours, you don't even need a dog to attend. Just pop along and watch, I am sure there will be lots of people happy to help you and give great advice. This way you can learn a great deal long before you get your first show-prospect.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Thank you that's very encouraging I might ask the local club can I go to ring craft and practice with my mutt see how it goes
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Ive always been interested in dog showing. After my taste of a companion dog show yesterday I have become interested in real showing (and it is just an interest at this stage if I get another dog it wont be until K'Ehleyr is older and until I know more). I will continue to take K to comapnion dog shows though. I have read all about starting up on the KC website (finding a puppy, ring craft, tarining, joining a breed club etc). I am wanting to go and speak to some handlers at a show I was just wondering will they talk to me or will they be too busy? Is there anywhere else I could get advice?
Thanks for reading xx
Peopel will always be happy to talk their breed with those interested in them.

The best thing you can do, if find some shows and go plonk yourself down at ring side, and watch... keep an eye on who is in the ring, who is about to go in the ring and those standing round chatting....... if you are going to talk to anyoen pick your moments..but dont do it as they are about to go in the ring .
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I have only been showing for three and half years but am always happy to help anyone starting out in showing cause how we going to encourage new people to hobby if we dont offer any help to them
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Peopel will always be happy to talk their breed with those interested in them.

The best thing you can do, if find some shows and go plonk yourself down at ring side, and watch... keep an eye on who is in the ring, who is about to go in the ring and those standing round chatting....... if you are going to talk to anyoen pick your moments..but dont do it as they are about to go in the ring .
I wont I dont want to annoy ppl before Ive even started Thank you.

Originally Posted by Border1 View Post
I have only been showing for three and half years but am always happy to help anyone starting out in showing cause how we going to encourage new people to hobby if we dont offer any help to them
This is really nice to know thank you
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Merseyside SBT club will be holding its open show on the 6th August at Whiston Village hall, if you want to go I will get the address for you. Merseyside Boxer club hold a very relaxed training and ring craft night each wednesday at Jacobs sports and Social club long lane, Fazackerly. I go so you will have someone to talk to if it is not too far. You can go with any dog and do both obediance and then ring craft for £1 per adult and 50p for the dog.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Oh yes please Leadstaffs
I have puppy class at 3.15 on Saturday so I hope I can fit the show around it and I am 100% interested in the ringcraft class. Thank you so much
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Saturday, August 6 · 9:00am - 4:00pm
Old Colliery Rd, Whiston, Prescot, Merseyside L35 3SX

Let me know if you go to the wednesday night class and I will look out for you
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I will defo be at the Wed night class not this Wed (on hol) but next. Do I just turn up with mutt and go "hello can we join please?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >