View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh, I feel your pain! I'm shocked at the amount of hair that I have got off my Labrador these past few months. So much so that I'm surprised he isn't completely bald. In addition to grooming it off him, the hoover gets filled every time I do a quick one over.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Central heating totally knocks out the typical cycle. They shed when the weather starts to warm up, but as it's always warm indoors with heating on they can't really have a normal shed.
We have really noticed it this year, what with some financial problems the heating hasn't been used much, just been snuggling under quilts, extra jumpers that sort of thing. Cookie grew a thick undercoat and now it's warming up a bit there is soooooo soooo sooo much fur everywhere. Seriously I have just bought a furminator of Amazon! All he has ever had is one of those typical double sided brushed and we just use the none mettally side! See I don't even know brushes! I could save all this fur for jumpers in case we struggle again next winter!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I have fed a variety of things; JWB, Nature Diet and at the moment she is on dry salmon Pro Plan - she seems to prefer the more oily dog biscuits, but the omeaga 3 and 6 is supposed to be good for skin and coat health?

Exactly the same, if I lost that much hair off my head I would definately be bald by now! I don't mind the hoovering, just hope it's all normal and also white hair on black clothes everyday is a nightmare!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh, I feel your pain! I'm shocked at the amount of hair that I have got off my Labrador these past few months. So much so that I'm surprised he isn't completely bald. In addition to grooming it off him, the hoover gets filled every time I do a quick one over.
Teagan is the same (Bullmastiff)
I hoover up, and the floor is already covered in her hair again lol
My white marble fireplace keeps going browny/gray with her hair!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 11:29 AM
*waves*! Hello, I live near you Beautiful doggies. I have the same problem and just end up putting up with the hair. I bursh him with the Furminator, followed by the Mikki slicker pin brush and finally a soft brush. Wipe over with a wet cloth. Gets most of it out but then he just starts again
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi! You do live near! Do you walk round Richmond park at all?

I have no luck with slickers on her, they work well on the bernese and GSD but not the buhund!

I will look at getting a softer brush, but harder than the puppy brush though, as I feel the furminator cant be good all the time? Also shes still young and gets very bored of being groomed.. turns in to a big game.

I think I will just put up with the hair too, sounds like everyone has the same thing! Maybe I should get a poodle next time lol.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
We do indeed walk in Richmond park

I'm not familiar with a buhund's coat, are you having trouble with the under coat or the top hair? After I go over mine with the Furminator to get out the undercoat, I use a rubber hand brush with uses static and picks up the top hairs really well. I got mine in like Poundland or something. Unsure if this might be any good for you?

It's similar to this
http://www.jmldirect.com/Rubber-Wonderbrush-PR4442/
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi,as a groomer and owner of long coated dogs,I use combs to groom out all my own dogs and those that are clients. Moulting combs are my favourite tools and there is one in the Miki range which has rotating teeth,therefore lessening any possibility of causing pain when a knot is encountered. I groomed out a Bernese last week and an Akita which do take quite a long time,as you have to make sure that you get as much coat out before bathing and then carry on combing whilst drying. I also use slickers which are sold by Simpsons on line,made in Germany and called Franks Universal. Certainly central heating encourages heavy moults,and as your breeds come from the far North,warmer climes do not help. One of my Borzoi bitches has completely undressed!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi it could be losing its puppy fur and going into adult coat. This can take a while and once the adult fur comes in will probabley settle down.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 01:07 PM
She's more short-medium length coat so not too many knots but will look at all the mikki brushes and also a static brush which sounds good, as lots of the hair tends to float around.

Its more the undercoat I think. She may be losing her puppy coat, although the feel of it hasn't changed. Buhunds are born with a dark coat and at 12 weeks ish it changes to wheaten. In terms of texture it feels the same as it did then, but I guess it still changes?

Thanks for all the help, I think I'll pop in to the local groomers and try out all the brushes suggested to see which work on her best!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2