View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mmclean
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I guess to some ending up in a shelter would be better than my backyard. I however do not agree.
I could of let him be one of the four million dogs that are euthanized every year... I guess I was a fool to think that this life would be better than no life at all.
Toby96
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I too am concerned that your dog is left outside while you are not at home.

Do you not have neighbours that you want to remain on good terms with? What if your dog barked all day while you were away? That's not very considerate to others.

Not to mention that someone could enter your yard and steal your dog, or abuse it.

You've already said that you don't appreciate comments such as these, but I couldn't help but say something. I have four dogs that are never left outside unattended, and I would certainly never leave them outside while I was not home. And I too work and am away from home 10 hours a day. If they are properly exercised before you leave they'll usually just sleep all day.

Until you are able to safely leave your puppy loose in your house, he would be much safer crated inside.
Toby96
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I meant to ask why you don't want to crate him in the house?
mmclean
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I am on good terms with my neighbors---- Therefore I talk with them. I have even introduced Moose to all the neighbors that way if anything happened he would know them and vise-versa. We live in a good neighborhood with a secure privacy fence and a lock on the gate. I believe him to be safe or I would not leave him. The same way you believe your house is safe. There is always a chance someone could break in.

I am disgusted at the idea of a dog left in a crate for more than a few hours at a time.... You are away from home for 10 hours and your dogs stay in crates... Now I consider that animal abuse, especially a puppy--- I think it is much more humane to let him run around outside with a pool and toys than be locked up.

But I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion. So you have yours and I have mine.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by mmclean View Post
I am disgusted at the idea of a dog left in a crate for more than a few hours at a time.... You are away from home for 10 hours and your dogs stay in crates... Now I consider that animal abuse, especially a puppy--- .
I agree that a pup should never be left alone in a crate for 10 hours, but I also think they shouldnt be left alone for long periods full stop. Its not fair on the dog, and id imagine not very good for its training.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I think an adult pet dog should be left alone no longer than 4 hours at a time, and much less for a puppy. I feel quite sad for this pup, it probably feels very isolated
Toby96
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Actually my dogs do not stay in crates, as they are all adults (13, 12, 4 & 3) and long ago earned the right to be free within the house when I am not home.

Of the 5 dogs I have had, only the oldest two were younger than 6 months old when we adopted them and when they were puppies my husband worked close to home and was able to come home for lunch and take them for at least a half-hour walk. They also got a good 45 minute run/play before work, we just had to get up earlier.

Once the dogs were housetrained and past the destructive stage we gradually decreased the time they were crated, e.g. crating only in the morning, etc. until they were completely trustworthy.

I would guess the longest they were crated would be for 4 hours at a stretch, and we never went out on weeknights unless one of us could be home with the dogs so that they would not be crated again.

When we adopted the younger two we decided to get adults who were past the destructive puppy stage and therefore could avoid crating for many hours at a time.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2