Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MyBoyz
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2009, 06:17 PM

R-e-s-p-e-c-t!

My partner who spends all the day with the dogs is find that our new one,lurcher, shys away from contact with him, albeit Oscars recall isnt there at all, but our other lurcher is absolutely brilliant with recall. He tries to butt Oscar out of the way when he gets attention. My other half is finding that Oscar wont respond to him at all. He actually slipped his collar today and wouldnt come back at all, he tried everything he could think of but had to eventually corner him in a stairwell hich wasnt ideal!
Has anyone got any tips to resolve this as its upsetting the pack.thanks.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I think you may need to give a little more information, particularly with regard to Oscar -e.g. how old is he, what is his background, is he nervous of your OH or just ignoring him, does he respond/recall to you?

In very general terms, usually issues like this can be resolved by working up a close bond with the dog - this would mean that your OH should spend plenty of one-to-one time with just Oscar, doing training, feeding and play.

However, there may be specific reasons why Oscar isn't listening to your OH so more background info might help.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 09:03 AM
How new is the new one?? and how old??
It can take a wee while to build up a bond, and if they are older then there might be history you dont know about

Also if the other dog is barging him out of the way that might make him feel less confident about being with OH
thats rude from the other dog and I would stop that

Agree one on one time is a must with a new dog or a dog with problems
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think you may need to give a little more information, particularly with regard to Oscar -e.g. how old is he, what is his background, is he nervous of your OH or just ignoring him, does he respond/recall to you?

In very general terms, usually issues like this can be resolved by working up a close bond with the dog - this would mean that your OH should spend plenty of one-to-one time with just Oscar, doing training, feeding and play.

However, there may be specific reasons why Oscar isn't listening to your OH so more background info might help.
hali said it all for me
MyBoyz
New Member!
Female 

28-04-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks guys, oscar is 10mnths, from dogs trust, apparently found in the new forest tangled in barb wire. not that sure about where is first home was or how he was treated. think he is just very shy of men in general.no recall whatsoever, hes not off the lead, but am doing recall training tom.told OH bout one on one and he agrees, hes going to stop charlie from butting in too! if no joy in the next few days, have found a local 'pay as you go' canine training centre.wish me luck,if you have any other suggestions please share-x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Have you contacted your dogs trust trainer/behaviourist for help?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I think you have been given some good advice here already. I was going to suggest "one to one"
Good luck, let us know how you all get on.
MyBoyz
New Member!
Female 

28-04-2009, 06:14 PM
not yet, will try the recall tomorrow,then maybe try the centre-but have a feeling they will say the same as you guys!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I am sure all will be fine if you take it slow
Sounds like the poor dog has been through a lot and it will take a wee while to come out of their shell and trust you properly
MyBoyz
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:42 AM
thanks for the advice-will keep an update of how he gets on!-x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >