Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Mad puppy eating

Hello everyone - just a little question as I never saw a dog do this before.

My pup seems to have ADD while eating

Here's what she does: I call her to eat and she immediately takes a huge mouthful of food and runs around until she spits it out somewhere and eats all the bits. Runs around again, skids by the food bowl, eats a bit then runs full speed outside and does a poo. Runs back in again, finds a toy, throws it around a bit then grabs a mouthful of food and takes it to her crate to eat.

I've tried picking up her food bowl after 10 min but it makes no difference, when I put it back down she does the same routine.

It's quite funny to watch but I always worry she'll puke with all that running around (she never has.)

Should I try to sort this out or is it just a puppy thing she'll grow out of?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Ooee the grabbing a mouthful of food thing is not usual in puppies.

I wonder if it has something to do with young puppies being fed together rather than separately, maybe they feel safer grabbing a mouthful of food and running off to eat it away from the more assertive puppies.

Is your puppy happy in her crate, have you tried feeding her in there or in some other small enclosed area.

Hopefully she may not do this when she has grown a little and feels more confident and secure.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
i would say it sounds like she is playing its like a game not feed time, alos as mini has said if a large litter then yes they will grab a mouth full of food and then run and eat it. I feed all my dogs in crates you can get crate bowls that hook or bolt to a crate if you feed in a raised bowl so it is still the same, but the dog is safe and will learn that its time to eat not play or try and run of mine use there's as a den as well the doors are open and they can go in and out only shut the door at feed time really works well for mine it might be some thing to try even if a friend has a crate you can borrow hun. let us now how you go.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm going to try feeding in her crate as she really loves it - also uses it as a den and sleeps in there at night. Thanks for the advice
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
What are you feeding her? How often?