View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 08:23 PM

gemma's ears need to be flushed (updated after procedure)

Some of you might remember that a couple of weeks ago we had to take gemma to the vet as she was having trouble with her ears, well dispite doing everything the vet told us we had to take her again today , as her right ear in particular was looking very sore anyway the vet said he needs to flush her ears out under a general , which as he said sounds a bit drastic, but will hopefully be a short cut to what could other wise prove a lengthy problem, i understand what he means and have agreed to have it done next tuesday but am at the same time a bit worried , and wondered if any of you had any experience of this, i know i'm probly worrying over nothing, but you know how it is .
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Sorry i can't help you,but wishing you both well for next week
Sal
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Ted, my last JSI, now sadly at the bridge, had grief with his ears. The little hairs that lived at the bottom of the ear canal used to drive him nuts, and he had to be anasthetised to have them removed. I wouldn't fret about it, I'm sure the vet knows what he's doing. Good luck and keep us posted
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2005, 09:58 PM
BMG it is a similar procedure to a human having their ears syringed out and is painless but uncomfortable no doubt
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Please try not to worry too much (pot-kettle-black with me lately!!! ) - my sisters Labbie kept getting ear-trouble and once had the treatment was fine. I am positive it will be the same for you guys too.
mandyB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Don't worry too much, Gemma will be fine.

My Gypsy had awful problems 3yrs ago with infections in her ears to the point of having holes in her ear drums and being nearly totally deaf. She had her ears flushed under GA 3 times, at weekly intervals. It did the trick and her hearing returned, she's not had an infection since.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 02:15 PM
My Boy Sweep had his ears flushed under GA in July and whilst all was well, the infection is back - not really surprised as his immune system is not good, so I am back to cleaning his ears twice daily, not going to under go the ear flush again for Sweep - but would still recommend it on an otherwise healthy dog(hope that makes sense)
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I have sent you a private message bashfulmoonglow, I had my dog's ears done (after taking much appreciated advice from Sweep ) and he's so much better.
I've explained more in the "pm"
Kind regards

Jill
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 07:18 PM
You can use garlic capsules to cleanse the ears-has to be the smelly ones BTW
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi all thanks for all your encourageing words over the last few days concering gemmas ears, as you may remember she had them flushed today, and is at the moment feeling a bit sorry for herself, but she did manage to eat some weetabix with warm milk earlier , anyway the vet said she's got an infection , but with the drops we've got for the next week , and good husbandry over the years she shouldnt have anymore problems . thanks for being there to see me thro my panic , hope to be able to return the favour if its ever needed .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >