Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Dog friendly beaches Sussex

I move to Sussex (east grinstead/Crawley area) on Saturday and want to take the dogs to the beach during the week after...
Planned to go probably early morning... Can anyone recommend the best beach/s to go to that's preferably sand not shingle and is relatively quiet or at least big enough so that I don't have to go near too many people!!!?

And also knowing the closest dog friendly beach would be handy too.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 03:03 PM
I know we spoke about your move but still not sure geographically where Crawley is in relation to where I went on holiday. I know Climping beach is dog friendly near Littlehampton.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 04:36 PM
The closest 'best' beach to you would be Goring-by-Sea near Worthing. Then a little bit further along you have Leanne's suggestion of Littlehampton.

When the tide is out at Goring you will be absolutely fine with regards to space no matter how busy it is. Goring is fairly busy with dog walkers/beach goers on a sunny day but the masses tend to congregate at the cafe and carpark that is there. On rainy days it is pretty much empty.

Basically if you want to avoid the bulk of people, do not go when the sun is out, especially if you are not sure whether the tides are in or out.

West Wittering I think is the nearest proper sand beach but it is near Portsmouth, so a bit of trek from Crawley.

Equally Camber Sands is a beautiful sand beach but that is the other way in East Sussex near Rye. That I think would be even further than West Wittering for you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm in East sussex but lived in West Sussex all my life, and you couldn't be further away from all of the beaches in Sussex, being in Crawley! The nearest sandy beach would be Littlehampton, Climping, but it's going to take you over an hour to get there. From there, coming East, all the beaches from Goring (next to Littlehampton) along the front are going to be shingle, again an hour or so's journey, and the next sand you'll hit will be near me, Camber Sands which is East Sussex.

Lovely beaches though when you get to them!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Climping! Fond memories of taking my boys down there when they were little - I loved it not least because there was nothing down there they could nag me to spend money on!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Lol helen, I couldn't be much further away from a beach than I am now in derby so Crawley is close by my standards! Ha!