Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Organic meat and veg boxes

Does anyone get their meat/veg delivered from one of these companies that do the weekly boxes and deliver to your house?

I'm seriously thinking about it and am just trying to work out how much we spend a month of buying meat/veg from the supermarket to make sure it's going to be financially viable for us considering how much meat we eat.

I'm getting fed up of supermarket meat and how watery it is when you're cooking it and also the fact that when you but supermarket bacon it's so bloomin thin you can practically see through it.

If you do use them do you find that they do actually last you a week or however long they say they should last or do you still find yourself popping out to pick the odd few bits up?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 11:47 AM
We have a local farm shop we go to, we get all our meat, eggs, veg from there.

We never buy meat from supermarket, apart the odd salmon fillet from the fish counter, or the veggie options in the frozen isle.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Personally. I hate cheap meat (by that I dont mean cheap cuts, I mean Value Chicken) but in the real world, my food budget for the month is teeny tiny.

So, I buy all my meats from good honest butchers/online suppliers (just bought a whole hogget, butchered and delivered for £100!) I buy belly pork and make my own bacon, I buy whole gammons and do my own hams for sandwiches etc.

However, we only eat meat 2x times per week, we do the same with fish (plus leftovers) so one chicken, may cost me £10, but it will do a couple of meals and then of course lovely HM Stock!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I get a veg box every couple of weeks from Riverford (sometimes more, sometimes less). I tend to swap and change what I get, so sometimes I'll get a Fruit & Veg box, sometimes a 'Seasons' box, or a 'Favourites' box.

I don't buy meat from them, as it's way too expensive - I either use a local butcher, or supermarket meat (providing it's british meat etc)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 12:29 PM
if you are intestered in meat, I throughly recommend that you read the River Cottage Meat book. You wont ever buy a battery egg, intensive farmed pig or chicken, or anything else where dubious practices go on!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Dave was wondering whether we should get one of the vegetable boxes but I don't know if we would use it all and if things would just get wasted.

As vegetarians we don't buy meat for us (obviously ) but we do buy it for Max, I get his from the supermarket but only the free range / outdoor reared meat / poultry. It always makes me laugh because I always see my friend's mum in sainsburys, in the meat aisle. She is a vegetarian too but she gets things for their dog from there.
bix
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2011, 06:17 AM
I love my veg box, I don't get regular meat delivery from them as I'm a veggie but buy some every few weeks for my boyfriend. You can get a box to suit you, chop and change and it's definitely cheaper than supermarket for veg. The meat is more expensive but you get what you pay for and the animals have a good humane life which I don't trust with supermarkets even if labelled organic, free range.
Give them a go, I think you will be very happy
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
We used to get one - but when I lost my full-time job we had to cut back, and it was one of the things that went pretty early on (along with the tragic loss of the sports channels which mysteriously seem to have reappeared on the TV subscription now!)

I found the biggest issue with it was that I tend to meal plan before hitting the supermarket with a list - and the random factor made all of that a bit of an issue really - I can't look at a collection of beetroot, celeriac and three spuds and magically think of a recipe to use them - I need to plan the other way - from recipe to shopping list... possibly as a consequence of the fact I was utterly unable to cook till the age of about 28 and then gradually taught myself from scratch!