Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
I hang poo in a tree. I mostly walk in the countryside, with not a poo bin in sight. If Stone goes at the start of the walk and we are doing a loop, then I hang it up (so it doesn't get peed on!) and then collect it on the way back. I guess if someone walked past it they would think it was left there.
i think its ok as long as its collected on the return, however other people seem to follow the pattern.

i remember a bush lastyear in vogrie park that was literally covered in bags as one person followed another.

could you hide it for your return instead?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
I hang poo in a tree. I mostly walk in the countryside, with not a poo bin in sight. If Stone goes at the start of the walk and we are doing a loop, then I hang it up (so it doesn't get peed on!) and then collect it on the way back. I guess if someone walked past it they would think it was left there.
I wonder if I've been in the same places as you as I've seen this happening a couple of times and wondered what was going on...I assumed someone had picked up but couldn't be bothered to take it with them or that kids had thought it was funny to hang it off the trees

We have one place that has a couple of poo bins so you don't have to carry it far, and one that has one bin on one side which isn't on the way home. I normally end up bringing Leons home in the bag and disposing of it here.
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
As per the Dog Fouling Act below, you are not required to pick up after your dogs everywhere.

In the countryside or woodland its totally legal to leave it be, and it will naturally bio degrade, poo bags don't and these cause more problems in that they lie around for years, if you deposit in a ''normal' (not dog ) bin, the poo bag and contents will end up in landfill and pollution.

This Act does not apply to land comprised in or running alongside a highway which comprises a carriageway unless the driving of motor vehicles on the carriageway is subject, otherwise than temporarily, to a speed limit of 40 miles per hour or less.
(3)This Act does not apply to land of any of the following descriptions, namely—
(a)land used for agriculture or for woodlands;
(b)land which is predominantly marshland, moor or heath; and
(c)common land to which the public are entitled or permitted to have access otherwise than by virtue of section 193(1) of the [1925 c. 20.] Law of Property Act 1925 (right of access to urban common land).
(4)Where a private Act confers powers for the regulation of any land, the person entitled to exercise those powers may, by notice in writing given to the local authority in whose area the land is situated, exclude the application of this Act to that land.
(5)For the purposes of this section, any land which is covered shall be treated as land which is “open to the air” if it is open to the air on at least one side.
(6)In this section—
“agriculture” includes horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming and livestock breeding and keeping, and the use of land as grazing land, meadow land, osier land, market gardens and nursery grounds;
“carriageway” has the same meaning as in the [1980 c. 66.] Highways Act 1980;
“common land” has the same meaning as in the [1965 c. 64.] Commons Registration Act 1965;
“speed limit” means a speed limit imposed or having effect as if imposed under the [1984 c. 27.] Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
One chap several months ago wrote into our local paper saying he hated dog owners who walked along with these bags of poo swinging from thier hand, it made him heave and he thought we were a disgusting lot.
Seems sometimes you can't win.
we seem to be damned if we do, damned if we dont
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Personally, this is my biggest bugbear - is it laziness? I think this is worse than not cleaning up after your dog as the bags then can cause injury to wild animlas and birds and makes the area look a mess. We always go out with lots of poo bags in our pockets and offer them to people who don't clear up their mess to prompt them to do it...maybe they're the idiots leaving them on trees etc? Mabye they intend to collect it on the way back and forget?
westonsorganic
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by em_er_li View Post
I've noticed people usually pick up because other people are around and they'd be too embarassed not to. I've seen people who think there's no-one around (actually glance around to check) and then decide to leave it. So it's more common in the countryside because there's no-one there to kind of.. judge them(??) if they leave it.

More poo bins would stop the whole railings/branches thing. I'm not sure what would improve the not bothering to pick it up deal?
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your responses, all very insightful! The lack of bins seems to be an issue that many of you have raised. Whether or not someone is being watched at the moment their dog goes to the toilet also seems to be a big contributing factor.

There is obviously a temptation to leave it on a fence or railing but then your conscience always wins over and you carry it with you. The people who leave it behind go the other way (the pain of carrying it around outweighs their attitude/beliefs about the matter).

I am interested in this decision making process as I don't think it is always straightforward. It might be that under certain circumstances, the same person will bin it and on another day, in another place they may decide to leave it behind. Is there anything else that someone would take into consideration when making this decision? Is there anything we can do to sway them towards binning it?

Let me know what you think,

Thanks!
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Where I live there is a real lack of bins at any of the common dog walking places and I think that has a real effect. Some of us have to walk quite a way to get to a park (lack of a car to drive to nice dog walking places at the moment) where the dog can free run and I can walk 30 mins there, 30 mins round the park and back again without passing a single bin.

In some ways I think it would be better if poo was left than bagged and then left but ideally it would be picked up and moved into bushes at the edge of the park so no one was walking in it etc (like that idea will catch on?) because at least poo will biodegrade if left.

However, for those who don't like carrying a full poo bag around there is such a variety of different kinds of container for putting it in and carrying it so it doesn't look like a poo bag that there isn't really an excuse for not carrying it to a bin (or home).

In terms of stopping it I think more bins would really help but apart from that there is no real way to enforce it beyond having a dog warden in every dog walking place all of the time and that isn't practical at all.
westonsorganic
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Also, do any of you think that it is a specific type of dog walker who might be doing this sort of thing? Does it happen at a particular time of day? The clearer a picture I get of what is going on the better.

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I walk in a lane with a bin at the end (not a dog poo bin, a waste bin outside a phone box) .

Everyday I dutifully pick up after my own dog and take the package home. At the same time I pick up the bags left by other people (and the odd can or bottle ) and put them in the bin by the phone.

If people aren't going to pick up at all or to leave the bag behind they would be better kicking the poo into the ditch for other small creatures to eat.

I noticed when we had some snow and someone failed to pick up the foxes ate the poo which was from a large dog fed on a cereal based food (I saw the foxes paw prints and the residue of the poo).

I think one reason people don't take the bags home is because the arrive in a car and don't want to take the smell in the car.

When I worked taking my dog with me I used to pick up and hang the bag of poo on the passenger mirror ready to put in the car before going home . A number of times I forgot about it and while driving home saw the bag swinging around out of the corner of my eye . One day I was being followed by a police car, he didn't stop me though thank goodness...

I buy scented nappy bags from Waitrose for my own dogs use, they don't cost a lot and when tied tightly smell nice in the car .

I think double bags (a bag within a bag) might help with the smell in the car problem.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 04:50 PM
My mum gets really irate at the lack of dog bins in her area, so she picks it up, bags it up then often leaves it on the ground to pick up on her way back home to bin it...

.........but on more than one occasion I know she's forgotten and just left it

Always so wonder why people hang it on trees myself?!

You can get decompsable dog bags, that way at least the poo is shifted from being stood on?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >