Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
They shot it in the front garden, the story has been updated...
You are kidding me?? And let me guess i expect they classed this as humane or the only option.

Don't get me wrong, I know what the dog did was wrong but to read that they just shoot the dog really gets to me.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Id shoot it, its the safest all round option.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
You are kidding me?? And let me guess i expect they classed this as humane or the only option.

Don't get me wrong, I know what the dog did was wrong but to read that they just shoot the dog really gets to me.
Shooting by a marksman is instant, image having the dog being caught & dragged off into a van & from there to the vets etc, or the RSPCA using a captive bolt ! Shooting was probably the most humane in this case
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post

I know it sounds unpleasant but it was the quickest and most humane exit for a very stressed dog. Better that than being restrained and bundled into the back of a police van to be taken to the vet by strangers.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Shooting it is the best way to deal with it. Rather than be caught on poles bundled in a van and then kept untill its put to sleep.

After killing a child it was the only option left. Just because it was shot does not make it cruel.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I fear this will turn out to be a stereotypical incident, just because the media can make the most of those. Expect 'Devil Dog' headlines on a red top 'news' paper near you soon.

Let's hope not though because it's a very tragic thing to happen which might get drowned in all the do gooding finger wagging at 'dangerous' breeds.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I love dogs but not being funny if I saw a dog kill or badly injured a child, I would shot it to!
The grandmother was injured trying to get the dog off the child and by the sounds of it, it was her dog, so I dont think they had any other option.

I dont think it matters if they say destroyed, killed, put the dog down etc at the end of the day a poor child has lost there life.

I feel for the parents and and the poor child that was killed.

I do hope though that the media dont do what they always do and start attacking breeds and using these devil dogs headlines.
Its not helpful to anyone and just causes more problems.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Really sad. I hope it wasn't a bull breed because the last time that happened on Merseyside......

I hope so too. The quote "Efforts are continuing to identify the dog's breed." suggests police may be considering offences under the DDA. I also hope that we don't get any more ridiculous knee-jerk, breed specific legislation
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I absolutely would not have killed this dog. In fact I can't believe that authorites are still taking this tack.

Why did this dog attack? What is this dog's reaction to similar stimulus? What is this dog's temperament? What lessons can we learn to prevent tragedies like this occuring again?

Answer to all the above - we don't know and we will now never know.

I fully accept that, after killing a child, the dog's fate is sealed but, for God's sake, why the helter-skelter rush? I cannot think of any other situation involving a death where the authorities rush to destroy the main piece of evidence.

My thoughts are now with the family.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I absolutely would not have killed this dog. In fact I can't believe that authorites are still taking this tack.

Why did this dog attack? What is this dog's reaction to similar stimulus? What is this dog's temperament? What lessons can we learn to prevent tragedies like this occuring again?

Answer to all the above - we don't know and we will now never know.

I fully accept that, after killing a child, the dog's fate is sealed but, for God's sake, why the helter-skelter rush? I cannot think of any other situation involving a death where the authorities rush to destroy the main piece of evidence.

My thoughts are now with the family.
The outcome for the dog would have been the same, whether it was shot at the scene or kept in a kennel for months waiting for a decision. We can still learn lessons from this without subjecting the dog to an excrutiating wait for months, away from his family, on death row.
Page 2 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »