Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Roxy's Parentage....Confirmed!.....

Roxy is a Basenji x Border Collie!

No surprise there then, really, though we did suspect Whippet/Jack Russell thrown in to the mix as well.

I'm going to try and be careful with what I say, but over the last few weeks or so I've met a man walking with two Basenjis. I've only met him twice, but last night I met him for a third time, along with his wife.

After a short introduction, she discovered she knew Roxy! I confirmed details with her and Roxy is, in fact, the dog she knew years ago! She was able to tell me her previous name (which was on the Microchip) and the area where she last came from (the address the Police and Dog Warden contacted when we first got Roxy, without success).

According to the woman, Roxy's mother is a tricolour Basenji and her father a black and white Border Collie, thoug I suspect a small BC. It was an "accidental" mating with the neighbours dog, and she didn't come from anywhere local. I won't say where she came from. The litter was handed in to the local cat and dog home, and it went from there, really.

The previous people who had Roxy were informed of this couples Basenjis as they were finding Roxy difficult to cope with! At the time, this couple had a litter and as she said last night, most Basenji people know each other as there aren't loads of them around and not such a popular breed.

The woman asked me did Roxy "wave her arms", and I said yes, as she does do that often when she's on the lead and spies folk who she wants to fuss over her! I call it waving, apparently it's called them "doing their knitting"! Can any Basenji people confirm this, please?

So, to cut a long story very short, it appears that the previous people had moved on and left Roxy behind! Never at any time was she reported missing, believe me, we did everything we could to find that out with the help of a very helpful Vet Nurse, the Dog Warden and the Police.

Roxy has been with us almost 3 years and has been a complete joy to own!

Okay, she's wired to the moon at times, but in a good way! And she's hopeless at agility.

She is the most loving, friendly, affectionate little dog and I call it fate that she ended up with me. I love her to bits and, to this day, cannot imagine how she was hard to cope with! Or how anyone could not want her! It defies belief!

Anyway, their loss is our gain and we wouldn't be without Foxy Roxy!
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I know how great it is finding out the history of a rescue because yes, you'd love them just the same if you didn't, but regardless its fascinating to know where they came from.
Having said that, a basenji cross BC - she must have so much energy, lol!!!
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Interesting.

Well it has confirmed what you thought now. Yes Basenjis are very few and far between and tri-colours more so, thought they are becoming more popular as time goes on. About the arm waving, yes most Basenjis do this.
Did you get the names of the poeple you met last night, just curious to see if I know them.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Aww, I think that its lovely that you've got a bit of background about your girl
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Aww thats nice to hear from people that new her before
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by AlannaJohan View Post
I know how great it is finding out the history of a rescue because yes, you'd love them just the same if you didn't, but regardless its fascinating to know where they came from.
Having said that, a basenji cross BC - she must have so much energy, lol!!!
Exactly. Wouldn't have mattered to me if I never found out. She's great, wherever she came from!

Her energy is unlimited! You are spot on! She could go all day easy, if possible! Oh, and she loves to jump in to mid air regularly. I've had many people assume she's a pup or just young, when in fact she's 8 years old!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
Interesting.

Well it has confirmed what you thought now. Yes Basenjis are very few and far between and tri-colours more so, thought they are becoming more popular as time goes on. About the arm waving, yes most Basenjis do this.
Did you get the names of the poeple you met last night, just curious to see if I know them.
Thanks for that. I will PM you soon with the information I've been given.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Aww, I think that its lovely that you've got a bit of background about your girl
Thanks, Hali.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Aww thats nice to hear from people that new her before
Thanks, Pam.
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
.... I've had many people assume she's a pup or just young, when in fact she's 8 years old!
Damn, you're not kidding! I saw your recent post of her and your Westie out on a hike, and I would have guessed about 4 years old. Looks like you'll be planning energy burning activities for years to come, teehee!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by AlannaJohan View Post
Damn, you're not kidding! I saw your recent post of her and your Westie out on a hike, and I would have guessed about 4 years old. Looks like you'll be planning energy burning activities for years to come, teehee!!
Oh yes, I'm sure I'll be kept busy with her for a long time yet! (Touch wood!!).

Thing is....she's absolutely hopeless at agility, and I've tried many things to persuade her to like it, but she doesn't! She is just not interested, which is obviously fine by me. She's a wee star anyway!

While Molly is soon to be 6 years, and she's a lazy moo! But is good at agility. How does that work out?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I remember you had been thinking that she had Basenji in her before. Glad you have found out some more info on her
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >